What to do with the leftovers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamjar1982

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have 2lb of damsons and 2lb blackberrys left over from doing standard wines. I was wondering if there would be enough between the two do do a dessert wine or port style wine? Never tried either so any recipes/pointers would be good. Have given up on blackberrys for the year but plenty of good ripe damsons still available if my quantities area bit low. Hope your all having a good autum forage.

Cheers all.

It's hard to pour jam from a bottle :lol: already got a litre of sloe gin that I made from last years fruit.

Gin isnt :lol: and your username is Jamjar :whistle::grin:

On this occasion I'm not living upto my name, though I did consider using the pulp from the damson wine to do a jam, I just couldn't be bothered to add to the washing up..

On this occasion I'm not living upto my name, though I did consider using the pulp from the damson wine to do a jam, I just couldn't be bothered to add to the washing up..

Have you considered a Damson gin? the reason i ask is a few years ago i was in the lakes and a farm had a board outside saying they sold jam and gin! popped in lovely lady bought 2 bottles and what a drink that was, dont no how she made it but wow it was lovely

To be honest, I find it a bit of a cop out. What's the point if youve got to buy the alcohol?

You've nearly enough fruit, top the D.J. up with red grape juice to make up the gallon. I did the same when I was short of beetroot once, it turned out great.:thumb:

Hi guys. I have 2lb of damsons and 2lb blackberrys left over from doing standard wines. I was wondering if there would be enough between the two do do a dessert wine or port style wine? Never tried either so any recipes/pointers would be good. Have given up on blackberrys for the year but plenty of good ripe damsons still available if my quantities area bit low. Hope your all having a good autum forage.

Cheers all.

Damson Gin and Blackberry Whiskey! Make it more or less the same as sloe gin.

I find Damson tastes slightly sweeter so i cut down the sugar a bit

You've nearly enough fruit, top the D.J. up with red grape juice to make up the gallon. I did the same when I was short of beetroot once, it turned out great.:thumb:

Would that be for a port?. I think Im going for a dessert wine but not made my mind up. (Mostly because I don't know what I'm doing with either and don't have any recipes!) I've got some vintners harvest CY17 yeast for the dessert side. recipes would be very helpful!

Ta.

Don't think you've got enough fruit for a Port, the last Port I made I used about 40 lbs. of fruit for 5 gallons, damsons, brambles, and raspberries, still got a dozen bottles left, saving them for future Christmas's.

Back