Why does this have to be so confusing!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many recipes have I read and there's advice of "add a teaspoon of gypsum" to the mash water? This is without any prior knowledge of the water composition..now that's useless information!
Aye. Put as much sulphate as you like in a hoppy beer, but everyone dies if the sodium or chloride goes above 25ppm in a stout. Fire in a teaspoon of calcium chloride.

Always the people who've never tried something, that tell you it can't be done.

Last edited:
Aye. Put as much sulphate as you like in a hoppy beer, but everyone dies if the sodium or chloride goes above 25ppm in a stout. Fire in a teaspoon of calcium chloride.

Always the people who've never tried something, that tell you it can't be done.
Big difference from 25ppm to 500ppm!

Glad to see you’re all still trying to help Monkhouse. 😂
Yep, in not being held back by others lack of experience and experimentation.

@Monkhouse wants to improve the perception of body in the mouthfeel, by adjusting the water profile. There's only one way to do that. By increasing chloride.

JFDI, you won't learn by not trying.

Last edited:
Well for me I add about 150 ppm but I also do full volume mash. Anyone adding 500ppm would have to be either mad or both.
There's only one person who suggested 500ppm as an upper limit. You.

19g of calcium chloride in 39L of the OPs water adds c340ppm to the 10ppm. You say it's too much. Why? What will it result in? What did it do to your beer?

You've stopped the OP from using their calculations, why?

No one has provided any anecdotal evidence that they've used this amount and it was too much, in either thread.

Last edited:
There's only one person who suggested 500ppm as an upper limit. You.

19g of calcium chloride in 39L of the OPs water adds c340ppm to the 10ppm. You say it's too much. Why? What will it result in? What did it do to your beer?

You've stopped the OP from using their calculations, why?

No one has provided any anecdotal evidence that they've used this amount and it was too much, in either thread.
Foxy frequently advises that you shouldn't take advice from forums. So I guess you should just ignore anything he says...

Wow the claws are out on this thread so much bitching haha I love it, just like being at work! 😂
Anyway…big shout out to Cheshire for sorting me out with strange Steve’s calculator- I’ll be playing round with that one for sure!
Still confused about the brewers friend one tho- using the basic calculator I think I’m right in that the calculator expects all salt additions to be added to the entire load of water prior to mashing. Obviously I can’t do this with a 20l HLT so what do I do? Am I meant to just split all the additions equally? Add half the total amount to strike water and half again to sparge?
If someone could possibly just answer this question without ripping chunks out of either myself or any other member that would be awesome 😎

Can't speak for @strange-steve calculator, the link is dead for me, and I can't remember if he treats mash and sparge differently.

The other forum calculators are simple. If using them split the additions pro rata as the volumes dictates. For example salt addition value, divided by total water, then multiplied by mash and sparge volume respectively.

Can't speak for @strange-steve calculator, the link is dead for me, and I can't remember if he treats mash and sparge differently.

The other forum calculators are simple. If using them split the additions pro rata as the volumes dictates. For example salt addition value, divided by total water, then multiplied by mash and sparge volume respectively.
Wait I thought this was simple ;)

Wow the claws are out on this thread so much bitching haha I love it, just like being at work! 😂
Anyway…big shout out to Cheshire for sorting me out with strange Steve’s calculator- I’ll be playing round with that one for sure!
Still confused about the brewers friend one tho- using the basic calculator I think I’m right in that the calculator expects all salt additions to be added to the entire load of water prior to mashing. Obviously I can’t do this with a 20l HLT so what do I do? Am I meant to just split all the additions equally? Add half the total amount to strike water and half again to sparge?
If someone could possibly just answer this question without ripping chunks out of either myself or any other member that would be awesome 😎
I agree with @Brew_DD2 I would pick a software package brewfather or beersmith and start tinkering around there. The online calculators are fine but if you get your equipment and processes set up in software it makes the whole water addition thing much simpler.

I got my thick head on. Just tell me if I’m doing this right. I hate maths.
Baking Soda
NaHCO3 (8g)
Divided by
Total water volume (39litres)
Multiplied by
Mash water volume (20litres)

8 / 39 x 20 = 4.1g Mash
8 / 39 x 19 = 3.89g sparge

This good?

Use Brewfather software.
I use this and it's good as you can input your own water profile and in the settings select what ingredients you have and it will recommend what to add for the selected style, I keep mine basic and just use calcium sulfate aka Gypsum, sodium bicarbonate aka bicarbonate of soda, sodium metabisulfite aka Camden tablet, but I think my water is a good quality coming from the river Dee and is slightly hard

I got my thick head on. Just tell me if I’m doing this right. I hate maths.
Baking Soda
NaHCO3 (8g)
Divided by
Total water volume (39litres)
Multiplied by
Mash water volume (20litres)

8 / 39 x 20 = 4.1g Mash
8 / 39 x 19 = 3.89g sparge

This good?
No the calculator is 8.4g mash and zero for sparge.

Back