Why does this have to be so confusing!?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m guessing user error too 😂
What sort of profile should I be targeting?
My water as it is works great for pale ales- I always get a good head on these and even nice lacing too all the way down the glass. I’m interested in a changing my water to better suit stouts/ dark ales
It’s not user error that’s just a statement trying to belittle you. Use the stout profile from Strange Steve that I sent you.

It’s not user error that’s just a statement trying to belittle you. Use the stout profile from Strange Steve that I sent you.
If you use SteveStrange's profile the other figures you may require are Na - 55ppm and Mg -1.5ppm, the later is already in your water. As per the Target Liquor here, it needs to balance in ions to physically exist.

SteveStrange.png

I’m guessing user error too 😂
What sort of profile should I be targeting?
My water as it is works great for pale ales- I always get a good head on these and even nice lacing too all the way down the glass. I’m interested in a changing my water to better suit stouts/ dark ales

Just try adding a few grams of bicarb manually until you see the total in the water fall into the target area for your selected profile. I think Brewfather tries to preserve pH first when you do automatic adjustments. Just have a wee fiddle with your additions until your happy you fall inside the guideline targets.

How come bicarbonate of soda isn’t listed on this calculator?
The alkalinity is the calcium carbonate which is practically insoluble, so bi-carb is more suitable

I read somewhere that bicarbonate of soda should never be added to the strike water and only directly to the mash, is this true?
Probably the post I put up when you had bi-carb in your sparge water, it's fine in your mash.

Yes, calcium carbonate and bicarb will bring the pH back up again. You are using a calculator which allows you to enter the grist?

Ah yeah I tried Brewfather, really could not get my head around it. I need something more basic till I start to understand it more
If it is that Kamikaze stout you are brewing, I just had a look at that grain bill again, it has 22% of crystal in it. I know it is in a kit and you cant adjust the grain bill but you could add 250g of a dextrine malt. That should go towards fixing your foam and retention.

If it is that Kamikaze stout you are brewing, I just had a look at that grain bill again, it has 22% of crystal in it. I know it is in a kit and you cant adjust the grain bill but you could add 250g of a dextrine malt. That should go towards fixing your foam and retention.
Yeah it’s that one. I added 600g of oats including husks the last time I brewed it to help head retention (not sure if it’s worked yet I only bottled it yesterday).
Not heard of a dextrine malt b4 but will Google it 👍🏼

Metabisulfite in filtered water especially if you have chloramines.
If you live in the Pennines, you may be interested to know that Chloramine is NOT used by United Utilities.

Latest posts

Back