why not pulp pear?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu9000

Reaction score
I keep seeing recipes for Pear wine that say i should boil the pears and use the juice.
But, for some reason, i like the idea of doing the first bucket ferm with pulp.
any reason why not?

im getting the same with parsnip recipes.

im a newbie, but surely letting the fruit steep for a week gets more flavour and colour?

i think you can use pulp in a cider or perry there is a recipe in CJJ Berrys book. but the one for pear wine says to boil fruit. not sure why :)

i thought that too but im not sure. I mean perry and cider are clear ...i haven't been winemaking long enough to say.

No reason I can see why you shouldn't ferment pears on the pulp.

My notes from when I was making wine years ago are long lost, but I seem to recall making to CJJB's method once only and not being particularly impressed. Last year I froze, defrosted and pressed some pears (so no pulp, just juice) and it turned out to be a very nice wine.

I have never made Parsnip wine other than by boiling until softening but not mushy.

Hi Stu9000 i always ferment on the mashed fruit pulp with my pear wine and it turns out Very good.I never boil the fruit either, just wash the fruit before i put it through a blender then transfer the juice & pulp to a FV and follow my recipe.I think that blending it gets more juice & flavour out of the pears resulting in a better wine.If you want my recipe PM me and i will send it :cheers: Ken.

A neighbour promised me a load of pears but theirs rotted on the tree. However, I know where I could get quite a few.
fermentall said:
I think that blending it gets more juice & flavour out of the pears resulting in a better wine. If you want my recipe PM me and i will send it
Why not just post it for everybody to see?

Share and enjoy. :thumb:

I did a pear wine from the CJJ Berry book which used boiled pear juice (from 2kg for a gallon) it was a little thin and quite pear drop in flavour - not great but lovely with a little lemonade :thumb: This year I have made 2 gallons of pear and apple with the same method but boiled more fruit as I had loads of windfalls - the cost of a bottle made this way is very cheap, I added under a kg of sugar per gallon to the free boiled fruit - so yeast and bits and pieces probaby not even 20p a bottle :cool:

in the end I cut up the pears (which I had picked from a roundabout off the A3).
I pulped them with a wine bottle which did the job without undue hassle.
Ive put in 100gm of dried elderberries in the uninformed hope that it will fill out the flavour and reduce sweetness (im not a sweet wine fan).

Im NO expert, but from what ive read boiling can affect delicate flavours (perhaps more relevant to elderflower).
I just like the idea of the goodness steeping for a week before racking into a DJ.
Perhaps this will lead to issues with clearing, but im guessing I can address that with filtering and finings.

Im trully flying blind though, and will be for a while as Ive read most country wines need to age for 6 months at least.

However, its good for the soul to be out in the fresh air foraging for free produce.
Its amazing whats in front of your eyes when you look.
Ive just picked 4lb of hawthorn and rosehip from a hedge 2 yards from my driveway!
Again, ive read it takes a year to age and tastes rubbish from the start.
But im having fun.
I guess we will (eventually) see.

stu9000 said:
However, it's good for the soul to be out in the fresh air foraging for free produce.
It is indeed, and that's my favourite price for ingredients.

I don't think I would want to leave any squishy fruit on the pulp for more than about 3 days.

I've never made Hawthorn, having heard that it's unremarkable and throws a massive sediment. Rosehips are great.

Unfortunately, you've got the right idea about chronology, country wines usually need 6-12 months, that's why I make lots of WOW.

stu9000 said:
But I'm having fun.
:clap: :thumb: :cheers:

Back