Why tea?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlliesDad

Reaction score
I've seen a number of recipes that include "tea".

Is this literally a cup of PG Tips, and why is it added?

Cheers

NICK

Sent from my GuyPhone using Tw@tatalk

It's to add tannins to wines. AFAIK in "proper" wine the tannins come from the grape skins which you don't get in supermarket juice. That's just regular teabags. Hop tea is for flavour in beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above but just to add you can buy powdered tannin at home brew shops, I have used it and prefer a good strong mug of black tea made with 3 bags and added to each demijohn.

As above but just to add you can buy powdered tannin at home brew shops, I have used it and prefer a good strong mug of black tea made with 3 bags and added to each demijohn.

Having used both now I prefer the tea option. The powdered stuff gets everywhere is not careful. Messy stuff! Also seemed to coagulate when added to the dj although this disppeared over time.

Also seemed to coagulate when added to the dj although this disppeared over time.

I found the same so ended up mixing it with some of the sugar which worked, tea bags are cheap and readily available so i stopped using the powdered stuff.

Latest posts

Back