wilko stout tweaks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boost

Reaction score
I picked up a wilko stout in the current sale and I'm trying to decide what fermentables to use. I see a lot of people use treacle in stout kits, but I'm not a massive fan of black treacle. How about 500g dme and 1kg muscavado? Anyone used muscavado before.....is 1kg going to leave a strange taste? How about 500g dme, 500g muscavado and a tin of golden syrup? I've never really used anything other than dme or brewing sugar so any pointers appreciated. Cheers.

I'd like some info too, please!

I bought: 1 Wilko Stout, 1 Geordie Beer Kit Enhancer

I have in the cupboard: Deep black Belgian Candy syrup (about 400ml worth, I bought a jar when I was in Belgium), black treacle (have about 500ml left), Tesco Value golden syrup (about 680ml), Muscavado (about 180 grams), a tin of Green & Black's Organic Cocoa powder, plenty of brown sugar, plenty of white caster sugar, jar of honey.

Considering I will top up the stout with the 1kg of beer what's the max amount of additional stuff that is safe to add without it risking to overpower the flavours or become too strong alcohol wise?

As this is a 1 tin kit would brewing it short give, besides higher alcohol, more of the rounded, malt mouth feel that you would get in a premium 2 tin kit?

All or any of the above would be great... anyway yes brewing short and/or adding DME and other goodies will give more mouthfeel. Not sure what you do with the cocoa powder but search the forums, there are other threads on this.

Muscuvado - fine. I tried black treacle and if you don't like it initially (which I didn't) just leave it longer and it mellows.

If you have a look on the kit review section for this there are a number of variants where people have added different fermentables, the advantage for this is that they also tell you how it worked out :party:

Latest posts

Back