Would this work?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ally_sives

Reaction score
Hi,

Pretty new at homebrew really but I have a Coopers devil ruby porter waiting.

I stupidly forgot to get 1kg DME so, additions to this kit is...

-500g of dark DME
-1kg of Demerara sugar
-500g of honey

Will this produce reasonable results or is this laughable?!?

I can always wait and get more DME but I have to get it delivered each time and have to pay shipping and I can add more honey if need be.

Thanks for any responses!

I wouldn't use 1kg of demerara sugar as I think it would make a very sweet beer. I have used about 200g of demerara in a Coopers Dark ale (or whatever it is called now) in addition to 1kg of DME and it left a nice residual sweetness.

If it were me, I would use either:
500g dark DME and 500g of ordinary or brewing sugar
or
500g dark DME and 500g of honey

I might add 200g of demerara sugar to either of the above options but would be wary of using the full kg. I would also add that I haven't made the Coopers Porter kit so it's just my 2 cents...

I wouldn't use 1kg of demerara sugar as I think it would make a very sweet beer. I have used about 200g of demerara in a Coopers Dark ale (or whatever it is called now) in addition to 1kg of DME and it left a nice residual sweetness.

If it were me, I would use either:
500g dark DME and 500g of ordinary or brewing sugar
or
500g dark DME and 500g of honey

I might add 200g of demerara sugar to either of the above options but would be wary of using the full kg. I would also add that I haven't made the Coopers Porter kit so it's just my 2 cents...

Thats brilliant. Just needed a more experienced view on it. I knew I needed to add something but just wasn't sure what.
Mainly worried about body and mouthfell as opposed to Alcohol level really.

If you're not too worried about abv then I would go with my first option if this is the first time you've made the kit. You will then get an idea of what variations may work in the future.

Thanks, be my first dark beer so I'll be interested in how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back