Yeast Harvesting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zee

Reaction score
I have experienced a blow over with my latest batch. I use a blow off tube into a 1 Gallon glass carboy filled 1/4 full of no rinse sanitiser solution.
When I checked this morning it was still ‘blowing’ so I have left it for now. However, there is a nice level of yeast settled on the bottom of my blow off carboy.
So, my question... Can I harvest that yeast to a freshly sanitised jar? It would likely need a bit of washing to reduce the amount of sanitiser it would be sat in. My thought is it’s effectively the same process as top cropping. I used the Independence yeast from Imperial so keen to keep a batch going.

I personally wouldn't harvest yeast from the sanitising solution but it might be fine.

I'd be inclined to just harvest from the primary FV after you rack the beer.

My FV is a conical so I am going to harvest the yeast before dry hopping. I just wondered whether it would be if better quality from the top. After a little more research I think it’s lower quality and there are some undesirables that have been blown off too.

My FV is a conical so I am going to harvest the yeast before dry hopping. I just wondered whether it would be if better quality from the top. After a little more research I think it’s lower quality and there are some undesirables that have been blown off too.
I've not too-cropped myself but I've read that you don't want to collect the first cap as it will contain lots of trub etc. Your method could be adapted though by ditching the first bit of blowoff and then attaching a fresh container.

Also, unless the yeast is a variety known to be a good cropper, you're going to be selecting the yeast most prone to being an escape artist - this might lead to issues (such as floculation reduction) over generations.

Rinsing a yeast cake seems simpler, unless the cake is unusable because of adjuncts etc in it.

Latest posts

Back