Youngs American IPA NOT NICE1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I had just finished brewing a Youngs American IPA I followed the Instructions to the letter even leaving putting the hops at the very last moment before bottling. Well I took a bottle out it looked like it was clearing well so i thought I would try a glass I only took a sip and it was DISGUSTING !!!:nono::sick::sick:I have never tasted any thing like it tasted Acrid.perfumey but the taste is hard to describe it really it was undrinkable Have I tried it to early to test and could it be to putting the hops in to late or leave the beer for a few mths and then try again

About 2 weeks ago I had just finished brewing a Youngs American IPA I followed the Instructions to the letter even leaving putting the hops at the very last moment before bottling. Well I took a bottle out it looked like it was clearing well so i thought I would try a glass I only took a sip and it was DISGUSTING !!!:nono::sick::sick:I have never tasted any thing like it tasted Acrid.perfumey but the taste is hard to describe it really it was undrinkable Have I tried it to early to test and could it be to putting the hops in to late or leave the beer for a few mths and then try again

You put the hops in just before bottling? That doesn't sound right.
Usually dry hop 5 days or so before bottling but this IPA usually settles into a nice pint, do you drink IPA's ?

This kit comes with a dry hop 100g of hops which is a quite lot for some, and so may not be to your liking, especially if you don't normally drink this style of beer.
In my experience the effect of a dry hop diminishes with time, so although it may take several months, it might eventually mellow to better suit your taste.

yes I have drunk some but in the instruction Book it says as follows "Remember! The hops can be added as late as 2 days before Bottling.If in doubt add latter than rather than earlier"which I did I never tasted a beer like this before I think I will put a few bottles in the airing cupboard and see what happens what do you think?

I've just kegged my first one of these kits, (no kitchen to do AG last few months)
I'd read on here a lot of mixed reviews, some saying it was awesome, some no so good.

I tried the beer before dry hopping and found it rather bitter and not great to be honest. Anyway, perceviered, and dry hopped. Another little taste and still balance seemed a bit off. So dry hopped another 60g of US hops, and I'm hoping this will balance it out a bit as it really was bitter. I'll give it a little try at the weekend.

I did this for my first brew and thought it was delicious, very similar to Brewdog Punk IPA but it did benefit from atleast 4 weeks in the bottle. As it was my first ever brew i was rather impatient and tried a bottle at 7 days,11 days, 14 days, 21 days of bottle conditioning time and the change in taste is really quite dramatic. From memory it was the 14 day old bottle that was the most unpleasant and clearly not ready

I would try another in 2 weeks time and see if there is any improvement

@APINTA
Several references on tinterweb suggest that Youngs AIPA is similar to Goose Island IPA. So before condemning your brew, I suggest you get hold of a bottle of Goose Island and decide if you like it, and if you don't, you may actually not like this style of beer.

Right guys I will leave it for a few weeks and see what happens and let you know

This was my first brew also and it really did get much better after plenty of time in the bottle. The stuff I drank after 8 weeks was pretty delicious!

Give it time. Try one every 2 weeks..my mate isn't that keen on it but then his favourite beer is tinned Boddingtons. ....

And you call him a mate?.

I made a razorback IPA, I rushed the process and kegged too soon, the taste was a really strong medicinal flavour. It didn't go over time 2 months so I decided to dump it. As I started pouring from the top of the keg the beer seemed perfect and smelt perfect. I had a little taste and it was Delicous....... turns out that I hadn't filtered the hop pellets and they were all sitting in the bottom of the keg all concentrated, where I was drawing the beer from. It might be that. Is your beer clear or cloudy?

Latest posts

Back