Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies chuffer, yes i meant 1.010.

I will look to transfer into a bottling barrel, prime and get into my bottles I reckon.

Thats ready to go in a bottle. Mine was a nice drop. 3 weeks time, when the sun finally pops out you can enjoy one on the patio.

Hi all

I have had this fermenting for over 3 weeks as stated by most people about this brew it takes much longer to ferment out than in the instructions.

I checked the gravity 1.010 and as per instructions dry hopped. However after 3 days the gravity is still at 1.010. The instructions recommend bottling at 1.007 or below.

My question is a shall I just bottle at 1.010? 0r should I wait longer for gravity to go down? I am just concerned the hops will be in too long and ruin the brew.

Thanks
Like others have said it's ready to bottle. If you want to leave it for a day or two longer, because it's not convenient for you to bottle, it won't make all that much difference, and you certainly won't 'ruin' it because you have already had the hops in for 3 days. I dry hop most of my beers and leave the hops in the beer for anywhere between 5-7 days, and this includes the AIPA.

Co2 will kill the hops flavour. if bottling add them when its finished fermenting then allow a few more days to disperse carefully stir in anything still floating on the top and then bottle.

If barreling then when fermentation is complete pour the hops into the barrel add the brew and extra sugar and leave for a week somewhere warm to secondary ferment and then try and wait for at least two months or more.

If you cant wait, go to Weatherspoons and drink Devils Backbone American IPA because its identical.

If you can wait...........................

If barreling then when fermentation is complete pour the hops into the barrel add the brew and extra sugar and leave for a week somewhere warm to secondary ferment and then try and wait for at least two months or more.
But do you get hop bits in your beer as it is served, especially since it's hop pellets you are using not flowers and there's 100g of them?
Plus I find that once Youngs AIPA is clear, it's ready to drink, and what's more, the longer you leave it the impact of the dry hop reduces, which is my experience with all dry hopped beers.

But do you get hop bits in your beer as it is served, especially since it's hop pellets you are using not flowers and there's 100g of them?
Plus I find that once Youngs AIPA is clear, it's ready to drink, and what's more, the longer you leave it the impact of the dry hop reduces, which is my experience with all dry hopped beers.

No it all sinks i presume.

It is ready to drink as with any home brew but being a strong beer it improves with age. The hops will loose strength eventually, there is no right or wrong way just personal taste.

LORDY

did you brew the beer slightly shorter than 23L? if so this is perfectly normal for a slightly higher FG, which I not long discovered myself (Cheers Terry)
I managed a 1.014 but brewed short to 20L, so im sure if id had done a 23l I would have had a closer to the recommended FG

Beerisgod, yes i did slightly so good to know. That would explain.

I actually transferred to a barreling bucket last night. I used a sieve with a muslin over it, (all sterilized) when siphoning over after hearing you can get quite a bit of debris in this beer. This worked an absolute treat and the brew in the bucket was cloudy but no random floaters, looks as if will clear. It actually tasted very promising also :smile:

Interestingly I checked the gravity again before adding the priming sugar. It was more like 1.008. So I think the hops might have interfered with my gravity reading! Is that possible, generally consensus is that it can't.

But hey, we are all bottled and looking forward to a taster in a couple of weeks to see how things are progressing!

Beerisgod, yes i did slightly so good to know. That would explain.

I actually transferred to a barreling bucket last night. I used a sieve with a muslin over it, (all sterilized) when siphoning over after hearing you can get quite a bit of debris in this beer. This worked an absolute treat and the brew in the bucket was cloudy but no random floaters, looks as if will clear. It actually tasted very promising also :smile:

Interestingly I checked the gravity again before adding the priming sugar. It was more like 1.008. So I think the hops might have interfered with my gravity reading! Is that possible, generally consensus is that it can't.

But hey, we are all bottled and looking forward to a taster in a couple of weeks to see how things are progressing!

sounds like the nucleation sites of the hops may have played a part if ur reading was stable at 1.010.

I played it safe with a muslin (containing the hops), I felt this was such a huge amount I didn't want to risk a blocked syphon. hope I haven't missed out on the extra potency loose hops produce.

im going to give it a full month before I even consider drinking this beer,or at least until , as another post mentioned, until its cleared.

Hope it comes out ok. are you keeping it in the warm for a couple of weeks first?

sounds like the nucleation sites of the hops may have played a part if ur reading was stable at 1.010.

I played it safe with a muslin (containing the hops), I felt this was such a huge amount I didn't want to risk a blocked syphon. hope I haven't missed out on the extra potency loose hops produce.

im going to give it a full month before I even consider drinking this beer,or at least until , as another post mentioned, until its cleared.

Hope it comes out ok. are you keeping it in the warm for a couple of weeks first?

The hops did leave a lot of residue. What i tasted had enough of a hoppy kick so I think it will be fine.

I am leaving in a cupboard under the stairs where the boiler which is generally pretty warm.

I might transfer to a colder environment after a couple of weeks depending on how it clears.

Oh what fun I had siphoning this into a pb the other night! Note to self, put hops in a muslin bag next time. Got it down to 1012 having left it in the beer fridge for 4 weeks and hopped for 3 days. Sample taste not dissimilar to brewpunk ipa/ goose island etc hopefully a couple of weeks conditioning will round the flavours off nicely and make for a nice summer pint.

Oh what fun I had siphoning this into a pb the other night! Note to self, put hops in a muslin bag next time.
I usually use a large muslin bag for dry hopping (in conjunction with a swirl of the FV twice a day for the first three days to redistribute the hops to improve the uptake of the hops). However last time I dry hopped I chucked the hop pellets in as they are and used the mesh sock thingy that came with a Festival Landlords Bitter kit (this goes over the siphon tube), and was surprised to find it worked.
So I will modify what I do, beer that goes into the PB will use the sock, but until I have more confidence in the sock not clogging up and disrupting the siphon process I will continue to use the bag for bottling.
And I always boil the bag/sock before use to sterilise, and afterwards to kill off any yeast before dry storing.

I left my un used muslin in some sterilizer for ten mins then some starsan. hope this had the same effect as boiling it!

I couldn't believe even with four teaspoons the bag came floating to the top, must have been by day three as id stirred it on day two trying to rouse the yeast (my reading was still a bit high but brewing short was the cause) and didn't notice this then.
I think ill use some brass weights for the razor back kit as this also has a high hop quantity

I left my un used muslin in some sterilizer for ten mins then some starsan. hope this had the same effect as boiling it!

I couldn't believe even with four teaspoons the bag came floating to the top, must have been by day three as id stirred it on day two trying to rouse the yeast (my reading was still a bit high but brewing short was the cause) and didn't notice this then.
I think ill use some brass weights for the razor back kit as this also has a high hop quantity
Let me understand this one, only 'cos Im a simple bloke...
You put your bag in some steriliser to make it sterile, and then you starsaned it as well to make it sterile but you could of put some boiling water over it to make it sterile...no wonder people on here get confused..
Infact, just sticking it in boiling water will have the same effect, without any chemical residue......does anyone really read this forum correctly...rant over:mrgreen:

so lets imagine theres no boiling water, the could haves and should haves,.. what was so wrong in sterilising and sanitising something that would be in contact with the wort?

Some sort of hop filter (sanitised in your prefered method!) is a must. I don't think I dragged too much in to be fair it was just clogging the siphon up. Lesson learned, a couple of weeks conditioning and a bit of cold crashing will clear it, as long as it tastes ok thats the main thing and I know for next time.

Evening all, I'm a complete newbie to this brewing lark and I'd really appreciate a bit of advice please...
I'm brewing the American IPA and things seem to be going well despite the crappy weather effecting temperatures over the last few weeks!
I'm coming to the end of primary fermentation with a gravity of around 1.008 and I'm all set to dry hop this week as per the instructions.
The problem is I'm not sure how to go about priming prior to bottling; I've got a mixed selection of 330ml and 500ml bottles to use, but no secondary vessel to transfer to with the priming sugar that came with the kit.
My question is, and I appreciate this is probably daft, but can I add the dissolved sugar to my main bucket instead of transferring to a secondary?
If not, I have a stash of carbonation drops to use instead - how many would you recommend using for 330 and 500ml bottles?
Thanks in advance, Dave

Evening all, I'm a complete newbie to this brewing lark and I'd really appreciate a bit of advice please...
I'm brewing the American IPA and things seem to be going well despite the crappy weather effecting temperatures over the last few weeks!
I'm coming to the end of primary fermentation with a gravity of around 1.008 and I'm all set to dry hop this week as per the instructions.
The problem is I'm not sure how to go about priming prior to bottling; I've got a mixed selection of 330ml and 500ml bottles to use, but no secondary vessel to transfer to with the priming sugar that came with the kit.
My question is, and I appreciate this is probably daft, but can I add the dissolved sugar to my main bucket instead of transferring to a secondary?
If not, I have a stash of carbonation drops to use instead - how many would you recommend using for 330 and 500ml bottles?
Thanks in advance, Dave
Stick one in each bottle and don't worry...it won't make a whole lot of difference

Thanks in advance, Dave

don't panic mate, you can still leave your beer for another week without any detrimental effects.
if your around the herts area order a bottling bucket from 'Bigger jugs' or if ur from a diffderent area just google another homebrew shop closer to you. if u order now ul get it within the week which will give u time until the weekend to bottle. what you need to order with ur bottling bucket is a 'spigot' with the 'bottling wand' this will enable you to transfer your beer.
now im sure ur aware that streilising AND sanitizing is important so sterilise ur all equipment once delivered well on 'bottling day' (along with ur bottles)
ul need to boil 450ml of water and the 120g (the bag u received) of brewing sugar on the 'day' for about 10 mins and leave to cool to around 30c BEFORE u transfer the beer , now yuol need an auto syphon for this, ill suggest now to order at the same time as the above an 23L auto syphon.
basically if u need some help email me directly, unless of course Robin54 decides on giving u his words of wisdom without anything to back himself up (soz ul always find a ' let me get this straight, or am I hearing this correctly? type **** of a character on ere without the nerve to back something up theory, (just jokin of course 'rob' if can call you this of course, there's always a technically of some sort).
Or contact Myqul, Chippy Tea, or TerryM or Russ who I have seeked help with in the past with great success.
ill await my p45 in the forthcoming days

:thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks in advance, Dave

Wilko has them for £8. If you have one near.

Back