Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't panic mate, you can still leave your beer for another week without any detrimental effects.
if your around the herts area order a bottling bucket from 'Bigger jugs' or if ur from a diffderent area just google another homebrew shop closer to you. if u order now ul get it within the week which will give u time until the weekend to bottle. what you need to order with ur bottling bucket is a 'spigot' with the 'bottling wand' this will enable you to transfer your beer.
now im sure ur aware that streilising AND sanitizing is important so sterilise ur all equipment once delivered well on 'bottling day' (along with ur bottles)
ul need to boil 450ml of water and the 120g (the bag u received) of brewing sugar on the 'day' for about 10 mins and leave to cool to around 30c BEFORE u transfer the beer , now yuol need an auto syphon for this, ill suggest now to order at the same time as the above an 23L auto syphon.
basically if u need some help email me directly, unless of course Robin54 decides on giving u his words of wisdom without anything to back himself up (soz ul always find a ' let me get this straight, or am I hearing this correctly? type **** of a character on ere without the nerve to back something up theory, (just jokin of course 'rob' if can call you this of course, there's always a technically of some sort).
Or contact Myqul, Chippy Tea, or TerryM or Russ who I have seeked help with in the past with great success.
ill await my p45 in the forthcoming days

:thumb:

blooming charmin..
I only replied since he had the carbonation drops and putting them in a bottle is what you do, or do you put them in the car to suck on?

This kit is the dogs doodahs, really very impressed. Brewed as per the (very good) instructions, bottled 3 weeks ago. Lovely summertime drink. Can see me coming back to this one time and again .

Many thanks for your advice chaps, picking up a secondary bucket tomorrow and I'll start bottling! Hope the wand lives up to the hype!

Good afternoon all

Just started my first ever brew so have a couple of questions.
I got the Youngs american IPA microbrewery kit.
Just started the brew off.
Now what would be the best way to do it.
After 2 weeks should I put it into a secondary fermentation bucket and leave all the sludge in the bottom of the first bucket, and then transfer to my pressure keg?
Also has any added extra hops to the dryhop?
what happens to the hops if you just throw them in loose?

Many thx

Good afternoon all

After 2 weeks should I put it into a secondary fermentation bucket and leave all the sludge in the bottom of the first bucket, and then transfer to my pressure keg?

Many thx

Hi There and welcome!
The Youngs kit is very well thought of and will make you a good beer, no doubt.
As regards your specific questions:
I do all my beers by leaving them for 2 weeks in primary, then 1 week in a secondary FV, with about 20g of sugar added to help remove the air.
I would do the hop addition as the kit advises. Once you have done a few kits, you can experiment from a position of knowing the basic process.

good morning

if you look back through this thread Youl see a number of people say they wished they'd left it longer in the FV. so id personally leave for four weeks. itl still come out a bit cloudy due to the large hop additions.
I used a muslin as again I was bit put off with the amount of people saying about the difficulty in syphoning and clogging. I guess it was also down to the fact I ain't got a fridge to cold crash, if I had I prob would have thrown them in loose to get maximum utilization (but in all honesty, its hoppy enough for me). if you use a muslin Youl need a fair bit of weight added. id try six teaspoons as the four I used wasn't enough!
as for adding, you shouldn't really need to but it won't do any harm especially if you plan to keep some by for a few months as dry hops do sadly fade out. I plan on getting through Myn within a couple of months so they should still be at they're best.
I don't secondary but a few do on ere that will be a better choice for advise.
I wish you well with this one it has to be the best kit I've ever made

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice BEERisgod.
Guess its just trail and error being my first brew.
All advice will be greatly appreciated

Good afternoon all

Many thx

I left mine for a good 3 weeks then threw the hops in loose at 1008 before bottling a couple of days later. I used a muslin bag over the end of the syphon and it kept most of the crud out of the bottles - the hop pellets do break down into a thick slurry. It's been about a month in the bottle and is a lovely clear pint now. Not sure that I would add any additional hops, really don't think it needs it. Good luck!

I have made several of these kits. Both the IPA and the American IPA by Youngs are lovely. I ferment for three weeks luring the hood in after two weeks leaving it a week before I bottle it. I much prefer the flavour of this method as I find secondary fermentation into a barrel makes the brew taste more sharp. I now use a Youngster FV with a tap and get almost no sediment from the wort Ben with the hops added. The bottled beer then clears after a couple of weeks after storage at 18-24oC.
2 tips- I use cheap bottled water from supermarkets and I chill the ale cold before drinking. It's become so paletable, I would rather drink this than almost anything you can buy both finished ale or kits.

here, here Torvil,

premium kit brewing don't get much better dun dis (as alan partridge would say)

Ive got one on the go, again. still bubbling after 3 weeks. i will leave it until it has gone completely flat then barrel it and add the hops.

I now have a barrel sized fridge to chill it down in.

I cant wait (again)

Ive got one on the go, again. still bubbling after 3 weeks. i will leave it until it has gone completely flat then barrel it and add the hops.

I now have a barrel sized fridge to chill it down in.

I cant wait (again)

I followed ur advise last time mate, I gave it 4. used a muslin, only draw back was the 20l mark. hope u managed the 21l mark without the yeast touching the lid:doh:

I followed ur advise last time mate, I gave it 4. used a muslin, only draw back was the 20l mark. hope u managed the 21l mark without the yeast touching the lid:doh:

Did you use a muslin for the hops?
Also my airlock stopped bubbling after day 4.
It`s been a week now, had a peep inside and there a lovely thick layer of bubbly krasun.
Is the lack of bubbles in the airlock anything to worry about?
Whats the best way to add the priming sugar, I`ll be transferring to pressure barrel when ready
Thanks

Did you use a muslin for the hops?
Also my airlock stopped bubbling after day 4.
It`s been a week now, had a peep inside and there a lovely thick layer of bubbly krasun.
Is the lack of bubbles in the airlock anything to worry about?
Whats the best way to add the priming sugar, I`ll be transferring to pressure barrel when ready
Thanks

yes mate and im glad i did.

myn struggled a bit after day six but if uv got a good krausen i wouldnt worry too much. Did you take a gravity reading?

i wouldnt open the lid too much, sometimes airlocks dont tell the whole story, for instance, myn looked dead last night (on a adnams clone) but as i pulled the towel off the fv, it must have caught the airlock a tad, it then sprunge to life! wtf?

keep the beer at the high end it recommends as west coast yeast likes the warmer temps (so i was told)

id still give this beer plenty of time to clean up, its 20g of yeast with a whopping 1 kg of sugar to get through, try to be patient it will be worth it.:)

yes mate and im glad i did.

myn struggled a bit after day six but if uv got a good krausen i wouldnt worry too much. Did you take a gravity reading?
Not taken a reading yet, thought it may be a tad premature after a week. I`ll ignore the airlock and just give it another week till the krausen drops a little then give it a reading. I`m pretty much at a solid 22-23 C
What did you do with your priming sugars?
Boil them and add them to conditioned ?

Thx for your help mate btw

no probs mate.

just boil between 200-400ml of water wait for it to get around 100c and take off the heat, pour in the sugar whilst stirring slowly, this will help not to scorch, then add the pot to the heat and leave for ten mins on a steady rolling boil.
leave covered with the lid and foil draped over loose. this may take around two hours but after an hour I place Myn in the fridge for half hour. do a couple of checks on the temp with a thermometer once its got to around 30/40c slowly pour into your bottling bucket.
I tip Myn right down to the side so transferring doesn't cause splashing. by this time you should be safe to transfer your beer.
is this the part you tell me you haven't got a bottling bucket?

Just drinking one of these now and it is so similar to the Hobgoblin Gold I had in pub last night , very floral and hoppy.

Just cracked one of my brews open. Been conditioning in bottle for about 3 weeks under the stairs. It was super clear so thought I would pop one in fridge and try it.

It looks the part, smelled good. However it was very, very bitter, overly so. Didn't have that citrus, grapefruit twang you usually get from an AIPA. The main thing was the lack of malt flavor though from the beer. Maybe the bitterness masked it?

Could all this be that it needs longer to condition. It has been very hot lately so thought maybe that could have contributed?

Obviously a bit disappointed as I had high hopes for this one :cry:

What the expected fg on this, down to 1.014 now, thinking maybe give it another week before hopping. ??

Well I'm on week 2 of primary fermentation and still a big layer of krausen, think I may leave a little longer till this dissipates

Latest posts

Back