Ye Compleat Guide To TurboCider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Added a small bit about flavoured ciders - more to come there when I've read up a bit. Plenty of threads with people doing it, finding them all may take me a while...

Do you treat this like a wine or ale when it comes to carbonation/Fizz?
Do I need to stabalise it and add sugar or do I not need to stabalise it?

A more detailed explanation is near the beginning in the "what style do you want?" bit, but:
If you want a still cider, best to stabilise as for wine.
If you want fizzy (I prefer it), prime as you would for ale, except that cider likes a bit more sugar than ale does.
Of course if you also don't want it dry you now have the problem of getting it sweet...

Going to give this a go, if I want a medium dry cider what is best method? Splenda in at start? Specific yeast? Higher proportion of other fruit juice?

tommidolcetto said:
Going to give this a go, if I want a medium dry cider what is best method? Splenda in at start? Specific yeast? Higher proportion of other fruit juice?

4 to 6 tsp per gallon of artificial sweetener gives a medium. I chuck it in at the beginning - you can mix the tannin with it to reduce clumping, if using powdered tannin.
I've only used Morrison's own brand, but anything formulated to use as sugar teaspoon for teaspoon would be the same. Splenda is popular. Some people reckon they can taste some sweeteners (apart from the sweetness, obv) but I haven't noticed it with the Morrison's stuff which also has maltodextrin which may help with body/mouthfeel

Edited to add some links, remove all abbreviations, modify layout, and a few other things.
Reply chain tidied by deleting redundant posts

evanvine said:
I may have missed it, but are you saying in "clean or funky", that if MLF occurs you will not get a clear cider?

No, clean refers only to the flavour
If you can suggest a better word I might use it

Thank you very much. Put my first turbo cider (and my first brewed anything) in the demijohn last night. Bubbling away already. :cool:

Hi guys,
Im after some advice... I did my first ever brew of turbo cider 5 days ago. I have never done anything like this before and I was wondering if I could have some advice.... I didnt rehydrate the yeast? Will this make a massive difference?? Also the colour has completely changed and gone completely cloudy? It also seems to be constantly fizzing..... is all this normal? I sound really thick I know, you will have to excuse me.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Rehydrating yeast makes very little difference, I'm not a cider maker but I always pitch my wine and beer yeasts dry. It might take them an extra hour to get started, but that's all.

Apart from that, everything sounds completely normal. Brews do go cloudy as the yeasts multiply and build up their colonies, and if you can hear it fizzing that's a very good sign that they are on the job.

As Moley says, completely normal.
I usually use a yeast that doesn't need rehydrating, but even if the packet says you should you can get away with not bothering.
If you didn't use a cloudy juice, your cider will eventually clear - so you can see through it, maybe not well enough to read a newspaper, but nearly.
Anything from 10 to 21 days, depending on exact recipe and ferment conditions.
Then you bottle (or keg).

Thank you!!! You really have helped to put my mind at ease. I am so excited about homebrewing and Im already thinking about starting another batch. Next question..... are brown glass demijohns ok to use??

Im so glad Ive found this forum and Thank you for welcoming me :thumb:

Yes they are fine. It might not be quite as easy to see how clear it is, but if that is all you have it doesn't really matter.

Again.....Thank you for the advice :P Im sure Ill be back again with more questions haha. Thank you.

I like clear demis for fermenting, but I have some brown ones for red wines I want to leave for months to mature before bottling - stops the colour bleaching out.
Although, having said that, if I'm leaving them months to mature they'll be in the dark corner at the back of the garage anyway...

:D Hello again,
Hope everyone is good?
Im here with another question. I have brought some more yeast whicI think will need rehydrating, Im just not sure exactly how to do this? Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance once again :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back