Confirm I am reading the Hydrometer correctly

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Heath

Reaction score
This is the OG reading for my IPA beer kit. I read this to be 1.040 is that correct? The hydrometer makes it look like 1.4 and I am struggling to make sure I get this right. Can others help guide me on this please?

PXL_20230602_164543740.jpg

I have difficulty reading the scale unless the sample jar is full to brimming over, but apart from that, the liquid tends to "crawl up" the hydrometer a little bit creating a meniscus. You should real from the bottom of the meniscus and not from the top of where the liquid has climbed the hydrometer. With my hydrometer, this makes a difference of 2 degrees. You also need to correct for temperature. Also, twirl the hydrometer in the liquid as any bubbles clinging on to it will make it float too high.

As Clarence says easier to read when full to the brim. Looking at the photo from this angle it looks to me like the meniscus is at 1.040 which would make the actual reading 1.042
Also, always give the hydrometer a spin to remove any clinging bubbles down below

OK thanks, I will try brimming it next time. So I am right that it is 1.04X The kit says it is ready when it is constantly below 1.014

OK thanks, I will try brimming it next time. So I am right that it is 1.04X The kit says it is ready when it is constantly below 1.014
Yes, it is 1.040-1.042.

1.014 is just below the black band, although having said that, the kit will be 'ready' when you get the same gravity reading two days in a row - fermentation constantly changes it.

I'd advise that you close up your fermenter (with an airlock) and ignore it for a few days to let it do its thing. When the bubbling stops then take a reading.

Once the bubbling from the airlock slows down you'll want to avoid opening the fermenter any more than for taking readings or bottling.

Good luck!

I have my fermentor in my lounge, I have the temp gauge in and set to keep it between 18-20 degrees. I don't see any bubbles but I suspect my temp gauge hole is leaking that out. I had a look inside and I could see bubbles and foam all on the top
PXL_20230606_123253387.MP.jpg

I have my fermentor in my lounge, I have the temp gauge in and set to keep it between 18-20 degrees. I don't see any bubbles but I suspect my temp gauge hole is leaking that out. I had a look inside and I could see bubbles and foam all on the top

Yes it should be fine, if its foaming on top then it is fermenting, bucket lids are notorious for leaking but should not allow any nasties in.
Does your temperature control allow for any tighter control? Not much to worry about but if you can set it at 18C with say +/- 0.3 or even 0.5 it will help.
Temperature fluctuations can stress the yeast
Then increase to 19C for a day and then 20C until finished would be my preferred method.

So here’s my tip:
  • fill your hydrometer trial jar with water and stand it in a saucer on a level surface
  • put your hydrometer in, allowing the excess water to overflow
  • remove the hydrometer and mark the level of remaining water on the side with a waterproof marker
Now when you want to take a sample from the FV just fill the trial jar to slightly above the marked level. That way, you always get it brim full. Now hold your mobile phone camera at the same level as the top of the trial jar and take a photo like the one below. The correct reading is at about the level shown (in this case 1.035 - trying to read it more accurately than that is probably not justified)

1686057979473.jpeg

Last edited:
Unless you really care about the actual OG/FG numbers, it doesn't matter hugely.

ABV is calculated from your OG/FG readings. You subtract the FG from the OG, so as long as you are consistent, then and errors in reading the hydrometer will cancel out and you ABV will be accurate.

Totally agree with Agent 2 incorrect readings will give the same difference as 2 correct readings for ABV calculations

Unless you really care about the actual OG/FG numbers, it doesn't matter hugely.

ABV is calculated from your OG/FG readings. You subtract the FG from the OG, so as long as you are consistent, then and errors in reading the hydrometer will cancel out and you ABV will be accurate.

Knowing this saves a lot of worry. I read from the top of the meniscus both times as it's clearer. The "correct" reading becomes irrelevant.

Yes indeed and by doing that you can just throw the hydrometer in the bucket! (OK ok. 😁 drop not throw)

Ps.
Would anyone else move the probe to the side of the bucket (halfway up) so it is closer to the fluid?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230607-073649_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607-073649_Brave.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back