Confirm I am reading the Hydrometer correctly

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a sample reading today at 7days of fermenting. 1.020 I would say?

PXL_20230612_181446952.MP.jpg

I have taken a reading tonight, and I read this as 1.012. That makes my beer 3.68% at the moment as my OG was 1.040. The kit says 5.5% and it has been in the fermenter now for 13 days. It is taking much longer than the pack suggests at 4-6 days!

Attachments

• PXL_20230616_164129440.jpg
    PXL_20230616_164129440.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
I have taken a reading tonight, and I read this as 1.012. That makes my beer 3.68% at the moment as my OG was 1.040. The kit says 5.5% and it has been in the fermenter now for 13 days. It is taking much longer than the pack suggests at 4-6 days!
Kits are notorious for claiming that fermentation will be completed within a week. My advice would be to leave well alone for 14 days after it had started to ferment and then check your gravity over a couple of days after that if the reading is constant and within acceptable range (under 1014 in this instance) you can be confident to moving on to the next stage of packaging/ carbonating.
I wouldn’t be too concerned with your OG as it is more than likely that the ingredients weren’t fully dissolved hence an OG of 1040. Obviously if you have added too much water then this could be the cause. Kits are usually very close to the stated ABV. I would only be concerned if your fermentation had stopped at say 1.020 which would indicate it had stuck another issue altogether. Good luck I’m sure it will be fine.

Kits are notorious for claiming that fermentation will be completed within a week. My advice would be to leave well alone for 14 days after it had started to ferment and then check your gravity over a couple of days after that if the reading is constant and within acceptable range (under 1014 in this instance) you can be confident to moving on to the next stage of packaging/ carbonating.
I wouldn’t be too concerned with your OG as it is more than likely that the ingredients weren’t fully dissolved hence an OG of 1040. Obviously if you have added too much water then this could be the cause. Kits are usually very close to the stated ABV. I would only be concerned if your fermentation had stopped at say 1.020 which would indicate it had stuck another issue altogether. Good luck I’m sure it will be fine.
I have bottled and left the beer three weeks and frankly it is not very good. It has some alcohol in it but I would say it tastes less than 2% ABV to me and the beer is tastes malty and of nothing much else, like a weak bitter. I am going to try again, I am wondering if the yeast in the kits is not great. When I have it all in the fermenter it never bubbles out of the lock, I have not seen one bubble in both the brews I have done. I keep the temperature at 19-21C using a temp probe on the InkKey and a heating mat.

Just seen your other thread
If this was the St Peter’s IPA kit it’s only a 32 pint kit.
I fell fowl of this in my early brews. Muntons instructions aren’t very clear and it’s easy to top up to 23L by mistake. This may account for your low OG

Just seen your other thread
If this was the St Peter’s IPA kit it’s only a 32 pint kit.
I fell fowl of this in my early brews. Muntons instructions aren’t very clear and it’s easy to top up to 23L by mistake. This may account for your low OG
I am sure I added 19 litres and not to 23. But I can't remember and so maybe I got it wrong! It makes sense as to why it has some alcohol but not enough. I shall keep trying!

It would point to a weaker beer and thinner in taste.
Ps you would not be the first plenty of established brewers have done it🥲:laugh8:

That would still give you 21-22 litres of wort. It should only be 18 if my recollection is correct
I have now seen the mistake, funny how you miss things. It states on the guide, top up TO 19litres. I topped up WITH 19 liters. Hence I was 3.5 litres over on liquid and my mistake is now clear! Thanks everyone for helping me to see something that I just could not see

You will need to get your eye down to the level of the beer.
Agree with the above that it's probably 1.042
View attachment 86469
Be careful. These are the instructions for one of my hydrometers:-
IMG_1899.jpg

My other hydrometer comes wit no such instructions so I assume bottom of the meniscus as per the usual convention but it depends how the hydrometer has been calibrated. Also if it's a cheap hydrometer it's probably reading 4 or so points up in distilled water anyway so not that accurate to begin with. This on in the picture reads 4 points too high in distilled water so I subtract 4 points when I use it and its bob on. This inaccuracy was brought too my attention as I consistently finished 4 points high on FG so this explains it.

Ultimately it doesn't matter as the difference between the bottom and top of the meniscus is only 1 gravity point so well within any window of accuracy you need to be concerned with.

If you're not sure how to read your hydrometer, chuck it in 20° Water, find what part of the meniscus reads 1.000 and just use that in future.

Ultimately it doesn't matter as the difference between the bottom and top of the meniscus is only 1 gravity point so well within any window of accuracy you need to be concerned with
☝️👍 as long as you read it consistently, you'll be fine

I have my fermentor in my lounge, I have the temp gauge in and set to keep it between 18-20 degrees. I don't see any bubbles but I suspect my temp gauge hole is leaking that out. I had a look inside and I could see bubbles and foam all on the top
View attachment 86474
I’m jealous of anyone who gets to keep their fermenter in the lounge!
Respect!

Latest posts

Back