best wort chiller for 50 litre bergland pot?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECLIPSE

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys, having just completed my 1st all grain BIAB beer I have now decided to purchase a wort chiller for my next batch to aid cooling. However I am struggling to find a chiller that is the right size for my brews. I will be brewing 23 litre batches. does anybody know which size would be best? I dont want to waste 40 quid on a tiny thing that might not be much faster at chilling than my current method.

cheers guys

Judging by my simple self build, I think you'll notice a big difference whatever you get, as long as it is broadly an appropriate size for your pot. My set up is slightly unusual (two pots/two separate coils in series) but even with single coils, it does 100C to 18C in 25mins. I was pleasantly surprised just how hot the water coming out of the end was, first time I used it.

not a lot of commercial options but id recommend a straight pipe counterflow chiller, totally cleanable. no hidden corners and effective regardles of volume as you chill X litres per min..

my diy job with 6.5m of 10mm ss tube chilled inside 1" PVC tube chills 2-3l per min straight off the boil to pitching temps. so with a 23l batch u could be pitching yeast 10 mins after starting to chill..

MK1
10369632985_4eab5bde76.jpg

copper would be more effective than SS and longer tubes would be cheaper as less end fittings wld be needed...

long pipe brushes allow total cleaning without the blind spots in cfc coils or plate chillers.

That looks complicated! How exactly do counter flow chillers work? I've just have a quote of £70 from a guy on eBay for a custom fit ciooer wort chiller. It would be 40ft length of copper and have a kitchen sink tap fitting. Is this a good price or not?

counter flow chillers work by having a tube in a tube the hot beer runs thru in one direction in the inner tube, and cold water runs in the opposite direction in a counterflow direction thru the outer tube, the beer goes in off the boil and comes out at pitching temps..

IMHO Immersion coil (IC) chillers are ok for 23l batches as with a constant stir to keep the hot beer moving over the coil you should chill down to below 30C within 30-40 mins

40ft = 12m so about £30-£35 for the copper, forming it is easy, its soft and comes in a coil already ;) to make the 90 degree+ bends for the in and out feeds a £10 pipe bender is advisable to stop u kinking or collapsing the pipe when bending round a tight radius.. add a fiver or so for a couple 10mm compression to 1/2" or 3/4 " bsp M fittings and some hozelock adaptors and your done..

but if your considering bigger brews in the future the IC may be a dead end..
just my view tho.. im sure Immersion chillers have their champions too :)

Cheers fil. Some great advice there. I'll have a look at a few YouTube vids so I can see if making 1 would be a doable task.

Hi Eclipse

A while back, I considered selling my CFC, but then decided to keep it. At the time I considered selling it, I put a description and pic on JBK, here:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... =6&t=60628

I find 8mm pipe easier to work with than 10mm - less likely to kink, and under £13 from Plumbase:

http://www.plumbase.com/tprod108600/sec ... oil-f.html

Also spent £4.50 on garden hose from Wilko, and another £12 to £15 on fittings. So cost £30 odd to make, easy enough to construct, and pretty efficient - I never have to run the tap full pelt, even in summer.

Cheers,
Chris

Back