Straining wort into fermenter - BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised you get that much trub. I would imagine if you got a hop spider it would significantly reduce it though. I also use a strainer for dry hops but I might start to use the strainer as a filter instead.

I think the issue of so much trub has come from using fine crush malt from The Malt Miller. The BIAB bag I'm using is a 300micron mesh. Is there a recommended size?
300 micron is a good size. The crush won't be the source of the trub.

A lot of the trub is the hot- and cold-break formed when you boil, then cool the wort. The sweet wort you get after the mash contains a lot of dissolved proteins. When you boil it, some coagulate and come out of solution (hot break). Then, when you rapidly chill it, more will come out of solution (cold break). None of this has to do with the crush of the grain and is all perfectly normal.

300 micron is a good size. The crush won't be the source of the trub.

A lot of the trub is the hot- and cold-break formed when you boil, then cool the wort. The sweet wort you get after the mash contains a lot of dissolved proteins. When you boil it, some coagulate and come out of solution (hot break). Then, when you rapidly chill it, more will come out of solution (cold break). None of this has to do with the crush of the grain and is all perfectly normal.
Thanks again. So this extra break I'm experiencing, if not because of the grain bag, is be because I'm cooling the wort a lot quicker using the immersion chiller. Previously I used an ice bath.

I'm coming back to brewing after a little break but I seem to have forgotten a lot. I'll stop with the questions and go back and read 'How to brew" again!

Keep up with the questions. But also rereading the book will do you in good stead.

The increased break material could be due to more rapid cooling (it depends how rapid it was with your ice bath, which can vary a lot).

But to be clear, you  want all of this break material to fall out of suspension so that you can leave it behind. You don't want it in your final beer. Reading how to brew will explain it all better than we can!

Latest posts

Back