Stout plus chocolate malt.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colliefish

Regular.
Reaction score
I've trawled the forum but can't find a direct answer to my questions.
I'm going to do a coopers stout with a 1.7 kg tin of dark malt extract.
I'm also going to add 200g of chocolate malt.
I'm going to boil a pan of water. Add the malt. Wrap up for an hour. Rinse the grain of sugars.
My questions are.
How much water to boil before adding the malt.
And do I need to boil the result of the steep? (If steep is the right word)
Sorry for what must seem like dumb questions.
Cheers
Mark

You don't boil the grains steep them in the water at about 70 degrees so as the water heats up to 70 dump in the grains and steep them for 30 mins.. remove grains you can pour some 80degree water over to sparge if you wish then I would boil that for at least 15 mins. (some might say 30 mins)

Since your doing this with a kit I assume you're doingthe kit plus feremntables plus this steeped grain water?

The amount of water isn't crucial. Something like 1.5 litres to steep and 1.5 litres to rinse the grains.

Right guys. This is what I have done.

Steeped 200g of choc malt at 66 deg for 40 minutes in 1.5L of water. . (First timer so trial and error on temps with my cooker)
Poured into another stock pot and rinced grain with 1.5 L of recently boiled water

Boiled for 40 minutes.
At 35 minutes I added 15g of fuggles. (Not sure this will do anything at all so may dry hop at end of ferment)

Added to fermenter with 1 can of coopers stout and 1 can of coopers dark malt extract.

Og came at 1052

Pitched yeast at 22 degrees.

Now in brew fridge set at 20 degrees.

Your thoughts please.
Cheers

Thank you Clibit. I was hoping you would be a replyer lol

Is the low steep temp ok? Was supposed to be 70.

Thanks for asking this Collie.
I've another Coopers Stout kit to do and was going to ask something very similar.
Couple of newbie questions for one and all please...
Is 200G of Choc Malt the limit, if so why only 200G?
Is there anything else I can add, when fermenting or bottling to really pack a choco punch?
Thanks.
I'd like to do this for somebody who's a choco addict and surprise them you see.

You can use more than 200g, up to a max of around 500g I guess, but the dark roasted malts are powerful and a little goes a long way. I wouldn't go above 400g personally, and I still think that would be too much. 150 to 300 is probably the range to work within.

Thanks clibit.
I've ordered some choc malt (along with some other grains for another bash at AG) and also some organic cacoa nibs. I just need the patience to plan this brew properly now!

I recall a couple of years ago having a Guinness in the pub with an old fella who told me he made his own stout. He said he used a Wilko stout kit and whacked in a measure of port to each bottle when he bottled. I might experiment with this brew and put a big splash of chocolate liqueur into a few bottles as a trial.

I've read chocolate malt is aimed more at the colour rather than taste.
When people want a real chocolate punch they you chocolate spirit or something. I found it on a topic here without too much hunting

I've read chocolate malt is aimed more at the colour rather than taste.
When people want a real chocolate punch they you chocolate spirit or something. I found it on a topic here without too much hunting

Well I don't really agree with that. But I'm a purist at heart, I must have German blood cos I only ever put grain, hops, yeast and water in my beers! Chocolate malt does provide a chocolate flavour. Not like what Cadbury's flakes taste of though. And Choc malt is definitely not mainly for colour - it has a strong flavour and is mainly for flavour.

Ideal. That was what I was hoping for. Had just read to the contrary and was a little surprised because if you close your eyes and sniff the grain it does have a chocolate twang.

Latest posts

Back