Blow off advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm gearing up for a stout brew day tomorrow. It's going to be a pretty explosive fermentation if all goes to plan. I'm using a 33 litre FV which will contain 25 litres of wort.

Does anyone have advice on how to handle the vigorous fermentation? I'll be at work during the days and I don't like coming home to find the air lock empty of water and wort everywhere.

Any ideas / help would be gratefully received.

I'll put a post up for the brew separately for those who are interested.

Cheers

A blow off tube is pretty simple to set up.

Get a syphon tube from wilko and also get one of these sorts of airlock

http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/handy-airlock-silent-p1331

Put the airlock in the top of your FV lid as normal and take the top/lid of the airlock and the little thing out of it too. Then just jam the the syphon tube into the airlock and put the other end of the tube into tub/jar/what have you of star san. If you don't have star san you can just use water. Here's a piccy of the above if my decription isn't clear.
If you want to you can also collect the yeast using by making a yeast collecting jar.

Ailockbo1.jpg

Many thanks guys I can construct a blow off tube using stuff I already have. Cheers

A blow off tube is pretty simple to set up.

Get a syphon tube from wilko and also get one of these sorts of airlock

http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/handy-airlock-silent-p1331

Put the airlock in the top of your FV lid as normal and take the top/lid of the airlock and the little thing out of it too. Then just jam the the syphon tube into the airlock and put the other end of the tube into tub/jar/what have you of star san. If you don't have star san you can just use water. Here's a piccy of the above if my decription isn't clear.
If you want to you can also collect the yeast using by making a yeast collecting jar.

Call me childish but i love the name "blow off tube". Gonna have to make one
Could you explain please about the yeast collecting jar. Not quite sure i understand. :)

Call me childish but i love the name "blow off tube". Gonna have to make one
Could you explain please about the yeast collecting jar. Not quite sure i understand. :)

Yeast fart tube? :lol:

The yeast collected from the krausen is the most healthiest but you need to use it withing a day or two as it hasn't built up energy/nutrient reserves like the yeast you collect from the bottow of the fermenter. You can get around this by putting it in some starter wort after collection, fermenting it out then you can store it in the fridge

Yeast collection jar:

Get a jar an drill two holes in it big enough for grommets that fit an airlock. In one hole you put the end of the blow off tube thats coming from the FV in the other hole you put an airlock.

a yeast collection jar is safer than top cropping as you don't have to take the lid off the FV to scoop out krausen and therefore risk infection

photo(3).jpg

Latest posts

Back