First brew from all grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross1974

Absolute Beerginer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

So I've got the gear set up and sterilised. Grainfather and a plastic fermenter.
I've got my grain, hops and yeast ready to go.

Still looking for a decent method of sparge water heating, so I'll just go with the big pot on the cooker for the moment.
So what am I waiting for?

Nerves and confirmation probably.

I've got a pack from one of the brewing websites and its got all of the details in it. The Grainfather app is set up with all of the details and I assume I just need to press go.

So just to check, if someone could help confirm the first gentle steps in the experiment.

I'm adding according the app anyway,

20.91 litres of mash/strike water at 68c
Then I add the mash and heat for 1 hour at 67c.
After this, pull the basket and sparge 13.2 litres, then boil for an hour. ( Add hops at the correct times , 60 mins, so at start of boil etc...)
Once boiled for around 55 mins, add cooling coil to sterilise, then begin cooling to around yeast temp ( what would you recommend?)

Do i need to add sugar?

Add to fermenter....... aeration? Whats best? Just stir or air block with pump etc?

Lots of questions........ I new at this so please be kind!

Ross

Hi Ross, you may find the mash temp will drop further than 1c when you add the grain, no biggie but something to be aware of.
As Rod says, give the mash a good poke/ stir to break up any dry dough balls.
You seem to have a good handle on things, regarding the yeast they are normally happy at the 18c - 21c range. Perhaps check the label for suggested ferment temperature?
The details with the pack will give you a good path to follow, sit back and enjoy the process!
You will produce a drinkable beer, and next time you'll do better, and you will tweak the process slightly, and you will be down the rabbit hole of no return.

What are you brewing?

Think best advice would be to add cooling coil 15 before end of boil (not 5) and Be prepared that you may not get down to pitching temp using the coil with the temp of the ground water currently.

I have only tried once and had the above experience, normally I cube my wort and transfer to fermenter the following day (no chill).

All this reminds me I must get a brew on soon

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful advice. @Rwilts @prog99 @MashBag @ChilledGecko @Rodcx500z

So stirring to preven dough balls - got it. Drill with paddle or by hand? I don't mind either.
Got 2 packs to try, an Exceedingly Good IPA with Cascade hops and a Bavarian Hef Weissen.
Did a water run with some miltons in it earlier this week. Was like a little boy with a new toy.....
Sugar.... not required, great and yeah moving on from liquid kits
Coil in at -15 mins ok! Ground water temp up here is 16-18c, so hopefully get close. Is it ok to recirc whilst cooling? Using the internal pump on the S40.
What do you mean by cube wort?

Ross

Thanks for all the helpful advice. @Rwilts @prog99 @MashBag @ChilledGecko @Rodcx500z

So stirring to preven dough balls - got it. Drill with paddle or by hand? I don't mind either.
Got 2 packs to try, an Exceedingly Good IPA with Cascade hops and a Bavarian Hef Weissen.
Did a water run with some miltons in it earlier this week. Was like a little boy with a new toy.....
Sugar.... not required, great and yeah moving on from liquid kits
Coil in at -15 mins ok! Ground water temp up here is 16-18c, so hopefully get close. Is it ok to recirc whilst cooling? Using the internal pump on the S40.
What do you mean by cube wort?

Ross
I no chill. Simply I put the boiling wort straight into a plastic jerry can (cube) and leave to cool naturally. Technique developed in countries that can't 'waste' water cooling the wort.

Won't be part of your process as described but works for me.

Should add that the cube should be of food grade and able to withstand building liquids .

I no chill. Simply I put the boiling wort straight into a plastic jerry can (cube) and leave to cool naturally. Technique developed in countries that can't 'waste' water cooling the wort.

Should add that the cube should be of food grade and able to withstand building liquids .
I never even thought about those rigid ones. The floppy cubes always put me off. I'm definitely going to do this because I hate wasting so much water and the time it adds to a brew day.
Any tips for hop additions? Like 10-minute addition becomes a 5 or no hopstand... just chuck them straight into the cube?

I never even thought about those rigid ones. The floppy cubes always put me off. I'm definitely going to do this because I hate wasting so much water and the time it adds to a brew day.
Any tips for hop additions? Like 10-minute addition becomes a 5 or no hopstand... just chuck them straight into the cube?
There is a chart! Which shows how you should adjust the hop additions, I only tried it once and didn't see much of a difference so I just follow standard recipe. But in principle late hop additions will be continue to add bitterness if left in the boiling wort in the cube.

Screenshot_2023-08-10-14-37-30-082_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

I think there are a few variations

There is a chart! Which shows how you should adjust the hop additions, I only tried it once and didn't see much of a difference so I just follow standard recipe. But in principle late hop additions will be continue to add bitterness if left in the boiling wort in the cube.

View attachment 88746
I think there are a few variations
I'll look more into that. Thanks 👍

You could almost do a combination of the two processes - chill down to below 80c so your hop additions stay as they are and then cube it. Perhaps? Chilling wort to 80c takes almost no effort and very little water.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Water waste is a bugbear, but I hope to reuse it in my garden, instead of just draining down the sink.

Hi Ross, Is your brewing system a Grainfather unit with a Counterflow Chiller (Blue and Red tunes for water in and water out)?
If so, no need to put the coil in the wort to chill it down.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Water waste is a bugbear, but I hope to reuse it in my garden, instead of just draining down the sink.

I run a hopststand at 85c, which naturally occurs in about 20 mins after boil (no coil) then I remove the hops and leave it for 24 hours to cool. No water is harmed in the making of this beer.

I run a hopststand at 85c, which naturally occurs in about 20 mins after boil (no coil) then I remove the hops and leave it for 24 hours to cool. No water is harmed in the making of this beer.
So how long do you leave the hops in for? Assuming they're in a bag or spider?

You could almost do a combination of the two processes - chill down to below 80c so your hop additions stay as they are and then cube it. Perhaps? Chilling wort to 80c takes almost no effort and very little water.

And what water you do use will be nice and toasty and perfect to use for cleaning up.

And what water you do use will be nice and toasty and perfect to use for cleaning up.
I do that so I have a nice big tub of hot water to clean but it cools down a lot by the time I chill to pitching temp. These rigid containers will be a game changer for me.
Still angry at myself that I didn't think to use them before now 😂

I imagine since it's the next day you've had a go at it? If so, I hope it all worked okay and you enjoyed the process?

Back