Will The Mods ???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the point being that "cleaning" and "sanitising" should be regarded as two distinct processes?

I agree in principle, in that "trying to sanitise dirt" may represent doing the right things in the wrong order.:lol:

Please ban the use of the wording "Cleaning with Bleach"

I take it your issue is with bleach being described as a cleaner rather than a sanitiser. I would have to disagree with you on this one.

This is from John Palmer's How to Brew:
"Bleach is one of the most versatile cleaners available to the homebrewer. When dissolved in cold water, it forms a caustic solution that is good at breaking up organic deposits like food stains and brewing gunk. Bleach is an aqueous solution of chlorine, chlorides and hypochlorites. These chemical agents all contribute to bleach's bactericidal and cleaning powers"

I take it your issue is with bleach being described as a cleaner rather than a sanitiser. I would have to disagree with you on this one.

This is from John Palmer's How to Brew:
"Bleach is one of the most versatile cleaners available to the homebrewer. When dissolved in cold water, it forms a caustic solution that is good at breaking up organic deposits like food stains and brewing gunk. Bleach is an aqueous solution of chlorine, chlorides and hypochlorites. These chemical agents all contribute to bleach's bactericidal and cleaning powers"

I used to brew with plastic pots and usually after a brew would give a hose down and wipe with a cloth and store knowing that I was going to use bleach for a clean and sterilise before the next brew.
Even now I just hose out my SS mash tun and kettle and wipe clean usually very little need for heavy cleaning. My 60 litre HDPE fermenters get a hose down and then filled to the top with 5% bleach with all the hoses and spoons etc inside. After rinsing I then give a final sterilise with starsan before adding the wort.

I used to brew with plastic pots and usually after a brew would give a hose down and wipe with a cloth and store knowing that I was going to use bleach for a clean and sterilise before the next brew.
Even now I just hose out my SS mash tun and kettle and wipe clean usually very little need for heavy cleaning. My 60 litre HDPE fermenters get a hose down and then filled to the top with 5% bleach with all the hoses and spoons etc inside. After rinsing I then give a final sterilise with starsan before adding the wort.

I use bleach if I know that I want to kill everything, for instance if I've had some gushing beers which suggest an infection. Star-san is a great sanitiser but doesn't work against wild yeast or yeast spores. Bleach will get these nasties.

When I use it I follow the advice of Charlie Talley the owner of Five Star Chemicals (Star-San) who recommended 35ml of bleach in 5 US gallons of water with 35ml of vinegar added to the water. The acidifying affect makes the bleach much more potent, even at very low dilutions. He suggested this could be used as a no rinse sanitiser but I tend to rinse afterwards and then use Star-San to make sure.

'Cleaning with bleach' . Does what it's says on the tin. Old school, before groovy fancy price euro chem . Same , same but different?. I don't know. I do use cheap euro chem .But for toilets and drains, i reckon it.s the go to. Shake an vac anyone?.thought not:)

Just like to add.coopers kits used to reccomend a bleach solution to clean with in the instructions under the lid.on the new kits they have done away with it and printed them on the inside of the can wrapper whether its still on them I know not

'Cleaning with bleach' . Does what it's says on the tin. Old school, before groovy fancy price euro chem . Same , same but different?. I don't know. I do use cheap euro chem .But for toilets and drains, i reckon it.s the go to. Shake an vac anyone?.thought not:)

46719249.jpg

Latest posts

Back