Single use plastic ban.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It states below (its countrywide not just Wales)
"the Welsh Government wants to ban the single-use plastic products mentioned above as they are often found littered in our parks, streets, seas and on our beaches. They all have reusable or non-plastic alternatives"
wont this simply mean those that litter will still litter with the non-plastic alternatives?

My wine kits have a plastic container for the concentrate and the finings come in plastic sachets i assume that will now change, will this ban effect other members?

We aim to introduce Phase 1 of the ban of single-use plastic products on 30 October 2023 and for it to include:

• Single-use plastic plates – this includes paper plates with a laminated plastic surface
  • Single-use plastic cutlery – for example forks, spoons, knives
  • Single-use plastic drinks stirrers
  • Cups made of expanded or foamed extruded polystyrene.
  • Takeaway food containers made of expanded or foamed extruded polystyrene
  • Single-use plastic balloon sticks
  • Single-use plastic-stemmed Cotton buds
  • Single-use plastic drinking straws – with exemptions so people who need them to eat and drink safely and independently can continue to have them
We aim to introduce Phase 2 of the ban of single-use plastic products by Spring 2026 and for it to include:

• Carrier bags – with exemptions including carrier bags for raw fish, meat or poultry and unpackaged food
  • Polystyrene lids for cups and takeaway food containers
  • Oxo-degradable plastic products
The Welsh Government wants to ban the single-use plastic products mentioned above as they are often found littered in our parks, streets, seas and on our beaches. They all have reusable or non-plastic alternatives.

Wasn't there a lot of noise about a plastic eating enzyme that had been developed a while ago?

Seems like that would be worth chucking into landfills and whatnot rather than hobbling numerous small businesses with such a heavy handed ban.

Yes.

And in the meantime, we will vastly increase our deforestation to make all the knives/forks/straws/plates/cups out of wood/paper and contribute more to global warming.

Yep, and the cost of these “alternatives” will be higher raising the amount we pay as consumers even more.

Some of the so called alternatives may not be any better either. Paper straws are a prime example. Firstly, they aren’t fit for purpose, and secondly, In order to make that paper last long enough to get it in a cup and to your mouth, it needs to be coated in something. The most common coatings are either Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS), which have been linked to a number of health issues, polyethylene (PE) or acrylic resin which is the same stuff used to make plastic bags.

Wasn't there a lot of noise about a plastic eating enzyme that had been developed a while ago?

Seems like that would be worth chucking into landfills and whatnot rather than hobbling numerous small businesses with such a heavy handed ban.
A great idea until it escapes its environment and starts eating our doors and window frames wink...

I quite like what the Welsh government have been doing recently. I particularly enjoyed Charlie Stayt ripping Mark Harper a new a**ehole on Breakfast this morning.
Sunak had his chance, any sensible politician could have turned the Johnson/Truss clusterfeck into a win. But now he’s scrabbling around for populist appealing non-issues to divert from sh1t show that (insert your choice of NHS, economy, immigration, education, brexit, sleaze here) has become.

I quite like what the Welsh government have been doing recently.
Do you agree with the blanket 20 mph speed limit they have introduced, it was a topic on 5 live the other day and the majority who phoned in were against it not because it holds them up but because on some roads its not needed as they are not accident black spots.

Some said driving at 20 increases pollution but having searched i believe that is no true.

Some said driving at 20 increases pollution but having searched i believe that is no true.
To do 20mph in most modern cars is second gear which = more rpm's = more pollution, on our car you can set the speed limiter for every gear i only use it on 6th set at 70. ? on cars with adaptive cruise control when it senses the car in front is slower it slows down do the brake lights come on as well

Do you agree with the blanket 20 mph speed limit they have introduced, it was a topic on 5 live the other day and the majority who phoned in were against it not because it holds them up but because on some roads its not needed as they are not accident black spots.

I think a blanket 20mph is overkill. It would be far easier to get behind expansion (or even adoption in NI) of 20mph zones in residential and pedestrian heavy areas. This would likely have as big an impact on road safety and make inforcement easier.
What labour have achieved here is to hand the Tories a non-existent cause to champion. They held Johnson’s seat by campaigning against a ULEZ expansion that was going to happen anyway, and now they’ve declared that Labour are waging a war on motorists.

To do 20mph in most modern cars is second gear which = more rpm's = more pollution, on our car you can set the speed limiter for every gear i only use it on 6th set at 70. ? on cars with adaptive cruise control when it senses the car in front is slower it slows down do the brake lights come on as well

I'm against it as a default but ok with it on housing developments and outside schools at start and finish times. "the average journey will only be delayed by 1 minute" is a meaningless statement. 30mph - 1 mile in 2 mins. 20mph 1 mile in 3 mins. So a commute from llanelli to swansea (not a big journey really) which has 3 miles of 20mph road is 3 mins longer. Oh don't forget that they have also turned 40's into 30's - so thats a 25% reduction in distance travelled per hour or a 25% increase in time required. 2 miles of 40 that is now 30..... an extra 30 secs per mile so you now have and extra minute there. Thats 4 mins each way and x5 days = 40 mins stolen a week from you.

My wifes colleague says it takes her around 10 mins extra to get into work.

It's been said that there was consultation over this, sorry I didn't see any in our area and I don't recall it being in any of the vote for us flyers posted through our letterbox.

This average figure of 'only' 1 minute extra will include those who drive 1 mile to school in a fully 20 zone. So it's totally misleading, Of course A journey of less than 1 mile could be done via better alternatives. I am retired so it doesn't effect me but it's not fair on those workers who commute and others who rely more on roads than I.

Here in NZ they banned 'single use' supermarket plastic shopping bags some years ago.

The ones I used to contain rubbish, carry wet swimming gear, dirty rugby boots, and dog waste with. People now buy much thicker plastic bags to do the same.

and you know what I've noticed? On windy days the loose rubbish that used to be contained in neatly tied bags now blows everywhere out of flapping wheelie bins.

Well intentioned but futile.

Last edited:
We still use plastic bags in our bins so landfill sites are full of the stuff (many councils still dont sort their household waste) but they banned them in supermarkets a while ago, where is the logic in that.

Latest posts

Back