£14:95 pay-per-view.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of clubs want to go down this route in normal times. If we buy this service now it will only strengthen their resolve. Don't back this scheme.
Not that I like the sport but it happened with boxing in the early days of satellite TV and boxing fans are still paying many years on.

Ditched $ky a couple of years ago and went down the Nowtv (yes also owned by them I know) route and now get a season pass for the footy which works out a hell of a lot cheaper over the length of the season. Be interesting how this PPV works alongside this. Don’t think I’ll be paying any more to watch the games though, it’s a poor TV viewing experience as it is without the crowds and can’t stand the simulated crowd noise asad.

I pay for sky, bt and 3 season tickets for Palace for which the club have taken the cash - it will be refunded in time. Seems nuts that I would want to shell out 15 to watch Palace v Fulham in a couple of weeks time.

I pay for sky, bt and 3 season tickets for Palace for which the club have taken the cash - it will be refunded in time. Seems nuts that I would want to shell out 15 to watch Palace v Fulham in a couple of weeks time.

You would have thought season ticket holders would get the games FOC as a gesture of loyalty.

I've long heard it discussed that the premier league should take matters into their own hands and broadcast the matches themselves, cutting out the parasites like sky and amazon completely. This would allow you to buy a season ticket for your own clubs games and that money goes, largely, to that club.

Until then, I'll stick to the radio and the dodgybox.

I've long heard it discussed that the premier league should take matters into their own hands and broadcast the matches themselves, cutting out the parasites like sky and amazon completely.

This must have been discussed at length there must be a reason why they haven't done this by now.

Every child today wants to be rich or famous. I wanted to be a policeman, fireman or doctor. We used to look up to people who served others and gained massive respect from the community. Footballers are rich because TV generates massive revenues for broadcasters and advertisers. Hard to blame the players really. I just can't be interested in a club that doesn't have only local players. In the Guardian and Times, sport and football are separate. Why? Football is just a business and the fans are exploited shamelessly. I'd watch a match between Brummies and Scousers! And I is one. (sic)

When I did a finance course a few years back, as a case study we did a full analysis on the books of one of the major clubs. What was immediately obvious was that the club in question made virtually no money from the football: almost all of their revenue came from merchandising deals. Basically a branded sports apparel business with football as a promotional activity.
One thing for sure, is that the only way that Sky will ever listen is when a considerable number of fans go beyond griping and just vote with their feet. The position would change overnight.

Last edited:
What was immediately obvious was that the club in question made virtually no money from the football: almost all of their revenue came from merchandising deals.
My Dad used to say, after yet another disappointing Mariners performance, that at least GTFC was a football club that happened to have a club shop, where as Man U were a club shop that happened to have a football team. :laugh8:

Although, given Towns recent performances, I use the term 'football' loosely.

You would have thought season ticket holders would get the games FOC as a gesture of loyalty.

For the post lockdown games for the completion of last season we got a code to watch the relevant games on BT free of charge. Now its every man for themselves. To be honest even in a non Covid scenario I find it hard to take that the only way to watch my teams away games if they are not on sky or bt is illegally. I'm not exactly freeloading if I try and find a stream.

I haven't read the full details of this new deal but I note a lot of people blaming sky sports here. But aren't BT also charging the same price. I am not sure how much the premier league is charging the broadcasters but at £5 perhaps it isn't viable

I've long heard it discussed that the premier league should take matters into their own hands and broadcast the matches themselves, cutting out the parasites like sky and amazon completely. This would allow you to buy a season ticket for your own clubs games and that money goes, largely, to that club.

Until then, I'll stick to the radio and the dodgybox.

I'm no fan of Sky or Amazon, but they're no more parasitic than the players or the clubs. You might as well blame Jimmy Hill. Haven't many top clubs given 'loans' to players, never expecting to be replayed?

The Premier Leauge are a trade association and governing body. I can hardly see them doing much for fans. As I seem to remember, when set up it was a way to make more money for the bigger clubs.

And as for more money going to your club, that may be true, but would any more money go into football or lowering ticket prices for fans? I sincerely doubt it.

To be fair, I don't think the finger can be pointed at Sky or BT here. This has come from the Premier League and the money is going to the clubs - the TV companies are merely the platform for broadcast.

I wouldn't pay it personally, but there are no doubt thousands who will - and the Premier League is well aware of that.

Latest posts

Back