10 litre Mini keg / Cask

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a 10 litre mini keg today, sorted out my old D coupler which looks like I am going to get a different one, plus the old picnic pump. Bought an Ultra tap stout spout. So just waiting on the bags and whatever coupler I will need for turning the keg into a cask. Dispensing real cask, lightly carbonated ale with air.
I can't see any reason at the moment why this won't work, looking forward to giving it a try.

003.JPG

002.JPG

Got a coupler and lid to suit, there is an adapter to enable a bicycle pump to be used so I will get that when I go back for some bags. If it performs as good as my beer engine I will be happy.

004.JPG

That first coupler looks more like a G style I think.
Where do you get those mini kegs from and do they come with the ball lock posts on ? The lid is interesting.

Hear me out.
Okay so if you make your dip tube pick up above the liquid surface, Naturally carbonate the keg with priming and lay it on its' side slightly tipped down you could take liquid from the gas post and put a ball lock connector on the liquid post with a cut tube and a soft spile in it. Then you can just tap off cask ale as if it was on stillage behind a pub bar. Also can attach your engine if you wanted. An alternative for those that don't have a bicycle pump.

Hear me out.
Okay so if you make your dip tube pick up above the liquid surface, Naturally carbonate the keg with priming and lay it on its' side slightly tipped down you could take liquid from the gas post and put a ball lock connector on the liquid post with a cut tube and a soft spile in it. Then you can just tap off cask ale as if it was on stillage behind a pub bar. Also can attach your engine if you wanted. An alternative for those that don't have a bicycle pump.
Yes I have seen videos on Youtube of brewers doing that, problem is the short shelf life of the beer when exposed to air. I have tried beer through the hand pump straight from a cube and using co2 at 1 ATM but it just doesn't cut it. Theoretically the bag should be fine, the only difference concerning me is that through a keg tap I won't get what I get through the hand pump and sparkler. Something I have to wait and see. I could also just connect the hand pump directly on to the bag as well and just draw the beer out that way. But this method will be good fro parties and taking a keg.

@foxy
Got your plan now I think,stout sparkler to imitate Northern spout and sparkler of beer engine.
Bag is full of CO2 and the pump sucks out of bag to fill space in keg.
I thought that pump sucked from air didn't realise it had a port that was attachable to for the bag.
A cunning plan Mr Fox.

That means they are unlikely to appear in the UK.
Hum ... I do hope that prediction is wrong. Those kegs do look rather interesting.

@foxy: How do you get your hands on one? I can find stuff on the pressure fermenters, but not the little 10L kegs you picture. It appears to me that you can introduce air-pressure (for dispense) through the neck port? Whereas, if you are to use the "Corny" style posts supplied, one is for beer out and the second for CO2 in (in to the beer bag that is). So, the CO2 post could be used for "venting"?

As I currently have an "AK" with about 5PSI in it (well over-the-top for my handpumps) I'm all too aware of the occasional need to "vent". I could also continue to use the CO2 in post for (rare) introductions of liquid finings, primings, etc.?

Hum ... I do hope that prediction is wrong. Those kegs do look rather interesting.

@foxy: How do you get your hands on one? I can find stuff on the pressure fermenters, but not the little 10L kegs you picture. It appears to me that you can introduce air-pressure (for dispense) through the neck port? Whereas, if you are to use the "Corny" style posts supplied, one is for beer out and the second for CO2 in (in to the beer bag that is). So, the CO2 post could be used for "venting"?

As I currently have an "AK" with about 5PSI in it (well over-the-top for my handpumps) I'm all too aware of the occasional need to "vent". I could also continue to use the CO2 in post for (rare) introductions of liquid finings, primings, etc.?
Apparently Bevie will be having a webinar about products they have and what brewers want, also I believe there is another interested party who are logistics experts but I am not sure of their main traffic. I will try and find out more.

Latest posts

Back