15th March 2009 Effin Adnams Southwold Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Well the Met office thinks the weather is going to be fine on Sunday round here So I am going to give it a go . . Gentle brewers I give you The finest session beer in the world bar none

80L @75% eff 1.037, 33IBU (Tinseth) and 27 EBC

Code:
10000g Pale Malt
  500g Caramalt
  250g Light Chocolate Malt
  125g Black Malt
  125g Roast Barley

900g Cane Sugar - Halfway through the boil

31g Boadicea Hops ( 5.6% aa - 90 Minutes)
   35g Fuggle Hops (5.0% aa - 90 Minutes)
   35g Golding Hops ( 4.9% aa - 90 Minutes)
   40g Challenger Hops ( 7.5% aa - 60 Minutes)
   40g Golding Hops ( 4.9% aa - 15 Minutes)
   16g Golding Hops ( 4.9% aa - 70C Steep)
GrainBill.jpg

A nice simple hop schedule . . . this one has been a beer that I have done again and again . . . The normal recipe used Challenger and Fuggle with Golding for aroma . . . and was pretty close . . I have heard on the grapevine that Adnams have changed to using Boadicea for bittering with goldings for aroma (also confirmed by the recipe in BBBAH). . . So I have modified my recipe to add this in rather than replace, hoping that I should get a blending and averaging of the flavours . . . I hope so with 80L to shift :lol:

A short (24 Minute :shock) video of the entire brewday is available Here On my website

Great. I might try this one.

What was the original recipe. Is it in GW's old book? :thumb:

How's it going?
The sun is shining here in sunny South Wales ;)

Let us know how it ends up,as I quite fancy this one myself.

Well brewing commenced at 7:00 this morning, its bright but overcast . . .Things have progressed well and the wort smells wonderful while boiling . . . just one hour to go . . . the March pump has behaved impecably . . .. I've got a lot of video to edit down, and I'll post a link here to it when I get it uploaded

Just arrived home after a very carefull drive home seeing as I had 20 litres of this from Aleman today, I had to perch it on the front seat with a belt around it :shock:

I have to admit it smells great.... Im going to drop 3 litres or boiled then cooled water into it and pitch with Nottingham as its either that or S04 and I dont think that this is and S04 brew and seeing as I dont have the whitelabs windsor in its going to have to be the nottingham..

Big thanks to Aleman for the wort much appreciated as I cant brew for a week of two so the best I could do for him was help with the clean up as he would not let me do anything else...

Lets see how it tastes in 6 weeks..

Well having put the brewery away I was just sorting the lab out when it hit me.
There was a kilo of sugar sat on the table . . . . 900g of which should have been in the wort :(
****!, ****! ****! ****!

Oh well lets see what I can do to recover this . . .DF took 20L . . . I've got 45L in the FV, and there is 2L in a Jug in the kitchen so thats 47L at 11.3 brix (1.044) . . . Should have 1.037 so liquor back to 47*44/37 = 56L (57L would be 3 cornii) . . . make it 60L @ 1.027 so I need another 152 points which is about 400g . . . So boil up the 2L of wort I have with 11L of wort and 400g of sugar . . . . Pitch the yeast tomorrow when the wort has cooled back down . . .33g of wort needs 400ml of water for rehydration . . . So 10L of additional liquor required.
Oh well not a bad brew day really minor hiccup which is fairly easy to rectify.

Its not that bad when you consider that each Litre of wort is 6 points higher than I wanted . . . .Which means If you liquor back the 20L of wort you have to 23.75L you will hit 1.037 . . . the desired gravity without the addition of any sugar

Calculating back I got a mash efficiency of 96% :shock: . . . I suspect my weighing of the base malt was a little inaccurate and actually I used a kilo of so more than I thought I did . .. so its not quite that high :lol:

33g of Rehydrated Windsor Pitched at 08:30 today . . . . Its a lovely clear wort
Wort.jpg

That's looking quite cloudy but was just after I had pitched the yeast . . . sat at 20C at the moment

Sounds good. Adnams Bitter would definitely be my desert island pint (although because I get to drink it less often, I'd say Dark Star Hophead would be the pump clip to make me smile the most in any pub).

Yes, Adnams switched to Boadicea a year or more ago now. Regular drinkers noticed the awkward swap over batches but it's back to its usual quality now and most drinkers are happy again.

I think the decsion was based upon the relative poor availbility and high price of Challenger in recent years, combined with the unbeatable disease resistance of Boadicea. Adnams wanted a hop variety that it could source more locally and that didn't require pesticides, reducing both its carbon footprint and environmental impact.

If I brewed this one I think I'd go for Challenger and EKG only, but I'd be interested to hear if you think the Fuggles really make the difference.

I am going to try GW's Explorer recipe one of these days when I get hold of some acid malt -- will probably try Fuller's Discovery in the meantime, which is quite similar - bit darker and not as strong.

Still sounds like it will be a cracker :thumb:

I normally turn around when I have 80L almost at the boil and spot the hop strainer on the table :shock:

Well I remember someone asking for a picture of my FV setup
FV.jpg

Here is the Wort at 24 and 48 hours
Ferment24h.jpg
Ferment48h.jpg

Looks as though its all over bar the shouting . . . Might give it a stir tonight just to wake the Windsor up, and see what gravity its at . . . looking and smelling like beer though

is that a Nordic stock pot mate? how does it perform?

i'm still thinking about a 100L FV and cant decide on converting a plastic biodiesel conical, saving for a 100L stainless conical, or just insulating a stock pot... all options of course will need cooling.

Latest posts

Back