1st brew in 15yrs ish

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all I'm looking for some general info on what to expect from a brew(been a while) I'm currently 5day into a st peters plum porter, following the instructions on the box says 4-6day ferment, mine has slowed but is still fermenting, so first question would be, do I bottle as per instruction when this stops or as Ive read online leave for longer etc? Also Ive got a hydrometer so took the start gravity 1048, just checked day5 1016 and because I could took a taster, so second question is this, tasted thin with some of the fruit bit sweet?(reminded me of how mead tastes?) Is this normal and will it develope body etc overtime?

Welcome back and welcome to the forum.
Ignore to instructions for your next initial brews and leave it to ferment out and the yeast to clean up after itself we recommend for beginners to leave it 2 weeks then bottle and leave a further 2 weeks to condition in the bottle.
The manufacturers give very optimistic timescales so as to make you believe you can be drinking it in a short time. It is better to follow the 2 week rules until you have got back into it and git a method that works for you.
Some brewers still leave it 2 weeks every time but it is possible to shorten it with different methods and yeast which I am sure you will learn by reading the forum and re-learning athumb..

Cheers, I'm hearing that the kits have improve a lot since I last did them, did a few and learned quickly that the full malt kit turned out better, had some decent results even back then, remember doing a 25bottle wine burgundy for the wife and bar a couple of corked bottles it was comparable to £5+ supermarket bottle even back then, think i was struggling with carbination on the beers was ethier way over or a bit flat...still drinkable tho.

Latest posts

Back