1st time corny user

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tys

Reaction score
My corny keg came this morning that the wife got me as a Christmas prezzie. My coppers lager is close to the end of 2x week's in 1st fermentation so now what?
I plan on force priming the lager, do I need to carry out any sort of 2nd fermentation or conditioning? Do i now sore it in the warmth for a couple of weeks or put it straight in the fridge?
Thanks in advance. :thumb:

Do you have a regulator and co2 ready for the corny keg? If so, cold crash the FV in the fridge for 24h then rack the beer into the corny. Attach your gas line and set pressure to 10 PSI. Purge the corny of remaining o2 by pulling the valve and letting the co2 push it out. Leave in fridge and forget for a week. After a week lower regulator pressure to 3-5psi to serve and pour.

Great. Is it only 10psi I've been told between 25 and 35 for lager?

Great. Is it only 10psi I've been told between 25 and 35 for lager?
https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

Yeah, if you had your keg at 13c and wanted 2.5 volumes of co2, midrange for a lager, you'd be at 22.5psi. If you had it at 4c then 12psi.

You'll then need either a length of choker line from the keg, or a flow restrictor before your tap. I'd always recommend a flow controller because you can adjust it depending on your beer style or temperature changes. Dropping the pressure to 2 or 3 psi for serving will mean the co2 will leave the beer eventually unless you crank it back up at the end of your boozy session.

Last edited:
This is why I just tend to suggest setting to 10 for carbing and dropping it for serving. Without having flow control in the line or on the tap anything above will be impossible to pour without getting a pint of foam.

This is why I just tend to suggest setting to 10 for carbing and dropping it for serving. Without having flow control in the line or on the tap anything above will be impossible to pour without getting a pint of foam.
I know! My first time kegging I think I got about 1 pint of beer and a swimming pool of froth. I had to take 5 pint glasses out to the shed, fill them and then pour each glass into another one. It was still very exciting at the time.

Back