Forced cabination query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS1986

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm quite new to using corny kegs, I have done about 4 brews in them, but up to now I added priming sugar and naturally carbed my beer before connecting to the co2 to serve (only 1 co2 so 1 keg can be carbing while the other is used to serve)

I have decided to force carb my current brew (nz pils) but not sure if it's working correctly; I charged the keg to about 16psi then left with the tap closed (incase of leaks I didn't want to lose a whole cylinder) having come back to it the next day the pressure was 0psi, I recharged... this time disconnecting the ball valve, same result, I pressurised again yesterday and it was held at about 6psi this morning.

So is this normal, and the beer is absorbing the co2 causing the pressure to drop or do I have a leak?

I have sprayed soapy water and found no bubbles and I have reseated the top plate to ensure its sealed (there was some pressure behind it when removed even tho gauge read 0)

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Hook the keg up to the gas turn it upto about 30 psi then put the keg on its side on a table or the floor and rock it backwards and forwards with the gas connection at the top. As the keg is rocked you will hear a gurgle as gas is going into the beer, do this for 2 o 3 minutes or longer if you want it to be carbed higher you will soon find out how long for different styles of beer.
This what most brewers call force carbing and the beer is ready to serve almost immediately.
If it is coming out too frothy/gassy then release the pressure from the keg then connect the gas and set to serving pressure.
If you look on Youtube there are plenty of vids to watch about this

Hi folks,

I'm quite new to using corny kegs, I have done about 4 brews in them, but up to now I added priming sugar and naturally carbed my beer before connecting to the co2 to serve (only 1 co2 so 1 keg can be carbing while the other is used to serve)

I have decided to force carb my current brew (nz pils) but not sure if it's working correctly; I charged the keg to about 16psi then left with the tap closed (incase of leaks I didn't want to lose a whole cylinder) having come back to it the next day the pressure was 0psi, I recharged... this time disconnecting the ball valve, same result, I pressurised again yesterday and it was held at about 6psi this morning.

So is this normal, and the beer is absorbing the co2 causing the pressure to drop or do I have a leak?

I have sprayed soapy water and found no bubbles and I have reseated the top plate to ensure its sealed (there was some pressure behind it when removed even tho gauge read 0)

Any help/advise would be appreciated.
The pressure will drop as the beer absorbs the co2. If the keg is nearly full when you first charge then you will only manage to add a small amount of co2 at 16psi into the headspace - and this will all be taken into the beer. Follow @the baron advice.
alternatively start with a charge of 40psi and leave for a few days to absorb.

Iv popped 30-35psi in an rolled it around on its side a bit, it's I'm my van so quite cold in there atm, in the middle of building my bar before it can go into the beer fridge onto the taps :)

Thanks folks

Latest posts

Back