1st time keg user….FOAM!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can be tricky at first. I had all sorts of mishaps. But stick with it, you will be a keg master in no time. Couple of pointers though, so you don't have beer on the ceiling... or other headaches.

1. Reduce psi slowly when still attached to the keg. I've had beer on the ceiling and a reg filled with beer. Best to avoid both.
2. If attached to keg or not, always reduce below the desired psi and then increase to the desired psi. If you reduce down and walk away, it will continue to vent. You need to reapply pressure.
3. Whilst gas and liquid posts look almost alike, they are not and the disconnects are coloured differently for a reason. You can push a gas disconnect on a liquid post quite easily (if you think your dip tube is clogged, for example). Getting it off is not so simple. But it will come off with brute force.

I had no idea about the different size posts, luckily I’ve bought enough fittings of each.
This one thing I am wondering out is how to sort out the foam in the keg. Will it naturally absorb back in to the beer or can I do something to help.

I have found that it is best to keep the flow open fully. For some reason, when you try to reduce the flow, it disturbs the beer more.
I don't have a keg setup, but I do have a good understanding of the physics of what's happening, which will hopefully help.

When a liquid flows through a narrow section (ie, in your tap when you've got it open just a bit rather than fully open), the flow rate in that narrow section increases and the pressure decreases - the Venturi effect.

When the pressure drops, more CO2 comes out of solution, which results in more foam and a flatter beer in the glass.

However, @Agentgonzo I have two other flow control taps that have no such issue. The flow control mechanism works perfectly with them. But they are back closing, as supposed to the forward closing nukatap (hope I got that the right way round). I thought that was the issue.

I don't use the other taps now and actually put them up for sale. The nukatap is just easier to clean and I have enough experience and knowledge to deal with a difficult pour, whenever it happens.

Latest posts

Back