Corny Keg Foam.. Help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete7811

Reaction score
Afternoon all, I'm a complete corny keg noobie and once initially setting up my keg to my co2 tank and Nukatap everything was working fine but now I just get enough foam to have a bubble bath. It does eventually settle down and tastes fine but I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Attached is my co2 reg and the numbers to me don't see alarming. I also have flow control within the pipes. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• 16016461735889147019402163871135.jpg
    16016461735889147019402163871135.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 88
I've got 1meter of 3/8 and 1meter of 3/16. Yeah the beer is in a fridge.

@Pete7811
Do you use a floating dip tube? Could be it's got wedged so that the end of the tube is half in and half out. If so maybe give the keg a shake to work it loose.

If you've got a flow control tap, try setting it to almost fully closed to see if you can get a slow flow of liquid without foam

Perhaps a stupid question - but is there anything in the keg? You could be on the dregs

@Pete7811
Do you use a floating dip tube? Could be it's got wedged so that the end of the tube is half in and half out. If so maybe give the keg a shake to work it loose.

If you've got a flow control tap, try setting it to almost fully closed to see if you can get a slow flow of liquid without foam

Perhaps a stupid question - but is there anything in the keg? You could be on the dregs
No I've not got a floating dip tube, was thinking of getting one though. I've also not got a flow control tap sadly. Haha yeah there's defo beer in there because it's only a few days old.

If you blast carbed i.e. at 40psi overnight did you then release some pressure before setting your serving psi?
I'll be honest I'm really struggling with understanding the Psi which I am sure is a stupid question but when I attached the co2 to the corny the reading is what it shows now and to be that's showing 40psi but surely I'm wrong?

I'll be honest I'm really struggling with understanding the Psi which I am sure is a stupid question but when I attached the co2 to the corny the reading is what it shows now and to be that's showing 40psi but surely I'm wrong?

@Pete7811
One dial is pressure in (i.e. coming out of the cylinder) and the other is pressure out (i.e. into the keg). The dial on the right seems to be at 40 psi but I can't tell if that is the in or out pressure. What does the other dial say as I can't see from the photo. If you've got 40 psi going in to the keg that will be why it's all foam!

@Pete7811
One dial is pressure in (i.e. coming out of the cylinder) and the other is pressure out (i.e. into the keg). The dial on the right seems to be at 40 psi but I can't tell if that is the in or out pressure. What does the other dial say as I can't tell from the photo. If you've got 40 psi going in to the keg that will be why it's all foam!

That's both of them, I noticed when I lift the ring pull on the keg the one which looks like its at 6 went down from around 15.

Attachments

• 16016504053498378285976272249026.jpg
    16016504053498378285976272249026.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 63
  • 16016504273864752925696815150406.jpg
    16016504273864752925696815150406.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 63
OK - one on the left is pressure out (into the keg) and the one on the right is pressure in (from the cylinder). The one on the right will go down as the cylinder empties.

That means you had it at 15psi which reduced to 6psi when you pulled the pressure relief valve on the top of the keg. Unfortunately, that means I'm still at a loss as to what is causing all the foam. 15psi is a bit high for some styles, but certainly shouldn't cause glassfuls of foam, especially as you have a reasonable length of 3/16 line before the tap.

OK - one on the left is pressure out (into the keg) and the one on the right is pressure in (from the cylinder). The one on the right will go down as the cylinder empties.

That means you had it at 15psi which reduced to 6psi when you pulled the pressure relief valve on the top of the keg. Unfortunately, that means I'm still at a loss as to what is causing all the foam. 15psi is a bit high for some styles, but certainly shouldn't cause glassfuls of foam, especially as you have a reasonable length of 3/16 line before the tap.
Thank you, that certainly clears up my understanding of the dials.

It's beyond me because initially it was perfect but then I was playing around with the dials trying to get a better understanding of them. The beer in the lines is clear as well.

Now you know which dial is which, I would pull the pressure release valve to release all the pressure (don't worry, air won't get in, it will still be just CO2 inside, just at atmospheric pressure) and then start again. Maybe take it up to 5psi and try that to begin with. If it is coming out flat (i.e. no foam at all) you can increase it a bit

Now you know which dial is which, I would pull the pressure release valve to release all the pressure (don't worry, air won't get in, it will still be just CO2 inside, just at atmospheric pressure) and then start again. Maybe take it up to 5psi and try that to begin with. If it is coming out flat (i.e. no foam at all) you can increase it a bit
Brill! I'll start pulling now, thank you for your help! Have a great weekend.

When I have had a similar issue I took the gas in disconnect off the keg, pulled the release valve and left it for a couple of hours before reconnecting the gas at my desired pressure, this seems to fix it for me

Latest posts

Back