Keggorator newb - carbonation and foaming issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've built myself a kegorator with a second hand fridge. Its made up from a soda stream bottle, a 5ltr mini keg (a proper one rated to 60psi and not one of the low pressure cask things), a flow control ball lock valve on the keg, and, in accordance with the usual beer line balancing charts about 10ft/3mtrs of beer line upto the tap, which is NOT a flow control tap.

Beer has been at 12 psi at 5 degrees C for a good week or so, so should be optimally carbonated for an IPA by now. But when I come to pour I just get foam. I dial down the flow control ball lock fitting and just get slow foam. It takes me a good 10 minutes to pour a decent glass of beer which still has a decent head on it and despite the big head the beer itself doesn't feel that carbonated. If I swirl the beer in the glass it forms a head so there is carbonation, but just don't get it in the mouthfeel.

So what am I doing wrong? Is it something to do with the small keg? maybe larger kegs just work better?

Is it something to do with my carbonation profile...some forums suggest to hit the beer early on with about 30psi but then reduce after a few days to 12 psi or so for dispensing - but surely the act of reducing pressure will increase the formation of foam?

I'm keeping the gas supply on all the time - should I pressurise then remover the gas line?

Is 12 psi too high for dispensing?

Any help, tips, suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Hi - 12psi should be ok (or too high or too low depending on your set up!)
When you say 3m of beer line, what diameter pipe is that? Is it 3/16ths? If normal beer line that might be part of the issue.

Latest posts

Back