2 weeks in fermenter at 2 degree C

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bheat2615

Reaction score
Hi
I am brewing my first extract/mini-mash beer (a Biere De Garde kit from brewuk.co.uk) after exclusively brewing tinned beer kits up to now.

It had been in the fermenater for almost 2 weeks and fermenation is definitely done. The instructions that came with the kit say at this point to condition at 2-3°C for 2 weeks before bottling.

Firstly, I'd have to leave it in the shed which I can do, hopefully it wouldn't freeze but should stay between around 3-8°C at this time of year. I could leave it in the garage, but it's around 10-14°C in there, maybe a little cooler.

But I don't know why I'm supposed to do this, every other beer I've done it bottle conditioned and I bottle when fermenation is done. Is there any reason for doing this, and should I leave it on the yeast or should I rack it into a different fermenater first?

If it's no different to bottle conditioning I'd much rather just do that.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201218_115236_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_20201218_115236_com.whatsapp.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 51
This step is essentially lagering your beer and will impact the clarity ( the cold will let the solids drop out ) rather than the flavour. You’ll want to carb this first other wise you might not have enough yeast left to carb. I’d prime,bottle and keep at your fermentation temp for two weeks to allow the yeast to do its business. Then I’d drop it to 2-3degC or as cold as you can for clarity. Good luck 🤞

Thank you! That seems the sensible way to do it, I'll prime, bottle, keep for two weeks then take out to the shed for two weeks.

Thanks for the help 🙂

Latest posts

Back