25C Brewing :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like fruity beer your in luck. When you lift the lid do you get bananas? Another byproduct has already been mentioned which is fusel alcohol which will make the beer taste alcoholic. It is the liver breaking these down that is believed to cause the worst hangovers. :sick:

Checked my brew on Monday for it's SG, as getting close to finish. This was a better brew czech pilsner. Temp was around 23'c. Checked again for consistent SG on Tuesday, and got up to 25...

Took it in to the garage for a cold crash before bottling yesterday. Bottled yesterday, and put away to condition. Primed 21l with 190g of sugar (9g per litre). This morning, came in to see what the temp in the room was, and it was already up to 27'c...

Not wanting to get any bottle bombs (and unsure whether would have any adverse affect, especially with it being a lager), checked the temperature in the loft, and that came out at 22.5'c. This is much closer to the fermentation temp (which was roughly around 21'c).

Would being kept at such high temperatures (especially when bottled) cause any off flavours or problems?! Also, would such a temperature (and combination of sugar for carbonating) cause any bottle bombs? OG was 1.052 and FG was 1.010. This works out around 5.5% abv, and was same FG for a while...

Cheers in advance :)

The higher the ambient temperature used for storage reduces the 'shelf' life of the beer, By how much is difficult to determine, and it affects weaker paler beers faster than stronger darker ones. Ideally you would want to store at cellar temperatures (12-13C) or if you have significantly 'chill proofed' the beer colder at 4C

Aleman said:
The higher the ambient temperature used for storage reduces the 'shelf' life of the beer, By how much is difficult to determine, and it affects weaker paler beers faster than stronger darker ones. Ideally you would want to store at cellar temperatures (12-13C) or if you have significantly 'chill proofed' the beer colder at 4C

Cheers, was talking about storing for the first two weeks to carbonate the beer...

Even in my nice cold garage though, the temp has risen to around 17'c! So got nowhere nice and cool to store the beer after it's carbonated :( lol Good job I don't let it keep long enough to worry about the shelf life being reduce ;) hehe

lovelldr said:
Aleman said:
Cheers, was talking about storing for the first two weeks to carbonate the beer...
At this stage in the 'fermentation' process it isn't really critical how high the temperature goes (*), although one issue would be that CO2 is less soluble with higher temps so there is the potential of having a higher pressure in the head space than in the beer . . . enough to cause bottle bombs . . . unlikely as you are only talking of a 5-8C rise.

(*) Although you will have a detrimental effect on the shelf life ;)

Aleman said:
At this stage in the 'fermentation' process it isn't really critical how high the temperature goes (*), although one issue would be that CO2 is less soluble with higher temps so there is the potential of having a higher pressure in the head space than in the beer . . . enough to cause bottle bombs . . . unlikely as you are only talking of a 5-8C rise.

(*) Although you will have a detrimental effect on the shelf life ;)

Thanks for clearing that up :) Putting my mind at ease. Will just leave be, and see how it goes, but the temp in loft is only about 1-2'c higher than where I used to keep them in the spare room, and is much cooler than in the spare room... Then will put them in the garage and hope that the temp doesn't stay too high! lol

I stand the FV in a large bucket in the garage and heat the water around and below it with an aquarium heater. Normally the garage is cool enough that I'm having to heat it so the temperature stays stable:

IMGP7081.JPG

I have a batch fermenting at the moment and noticed the temperature was creeping up beyond 22 last night. Garage was at 27 deg. C so I started to wonder what I could do.

Turns out my picnic cooler mash tun came with a couple of freebie ice blocks so chucked a couple of these into the water "jacket" and it has done the job nicely. I'll keep rotating these daily between bucket and freezer if it stays hot.

I think the large thermal mass of the wort in the FV plus the water in the bucket helps as well. It sits at a fairly stable average somewhere between daytime and night time temperature.

i sit mine in the bath with some cold water it works a treat, just take them out when me or the wife need a bath then straight back in after :cheers:

If you have a concrete floor in your garage place it on that it dissipates heat very well. :thumb:

Aleman said:
...or if you have significantly 'chill proofed' the beer colder at 4C
How does one chill proof a beer? I like my ale cold (sorry) and am wondering if I can help them.

With the talk of bottle bombs on this thread, and others, is there any risk of a king keg exploding? Or will it just blow the seals if I cock it up?

I'd expect the seals to go, but have learned enough in this life to ask the dumb question before finding the split barrel and 40 lost pints!

You should have a pressure release valve on the top. Mine's gone off before. Scared the bejesus out of me.

jonnymorris said:
You should have a pressure release valve on the top. Mine's gone off before. Scared the bejesus out of me.

I think you are right, the keg has an S30 valve on it and reading up on that it appears that there is a pressure release in it :)

It looks like secondary fermentation is doing OK, the barrel is mildly distended and the cap has a slight positive curve on it, I'm not going to have to add any CO2 for a few pints with this one :)

Upon reading this thread on Monday, and thinking "Oh ****, my Bock has been 24C since Sunday night!", I put the FV into a plastic storage crate with water and wrapped a wet towel around the fv held on by a bungee. Also have been putting in a new ice pack in daily and so far it's been keeping at 20C. Thank you all for saving the day! We live and learn, and this Forum is an education.

graysalchemy said:
It is the initial stages of fermentation which are important when the yeast are multiplying. If they get stressed with heat they can take different metabolic pathways and produce different flavours, the extreme is fusal alcohol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love GA me :thumb: :thumb:

:mrgreen:

;)

Back