3 various wow brews.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrD

Reaction score
IMAG0219_zps73b70876.jpg

Left to right: tropical mixed fruit; white grape and elderflower; red grape, pomegranate and raspberry.

Bubbling away in the corner is a 4 lb spiced and zesty mead that has been going for 3 weeks quite happily.

Mixed fruit was 1 L jucee 100% fruit punch (apple, pineapple, strawberry) and 2 L don Simon 100% tropical (white grape, orange, pineapple, mango, passionfruit).

White grape and elderflower will be 3 L WGJ and a bottle of belvoire ef cordial, bottled one last week and it was excellent so this is mk2.

Finally, 1 L red grape juice, 2 L 100% grape, pomegranate and raspberry, all from the cold section at asda.

The tropical was an experiment, the others I have made before. Thoughts?

Added sugar, tannin, pectolase, nutrient and youngs super yeast compund to each.

simkin said:
My fave's the Laphroaig hiding at the back ;) Nice bunch of WOWs :cheers:

Laphroaig is a nice one, gave some to my brother (not a whisky drinker) and it hit him like a brick to the back of the head :lol: .

My favourite is the 16 y.o. Lagavulin which is lurking in there somewhere, absolutely divine.

Don't know Lagavulin. I have had, and enjoyed, the Jura. I like the really smokey Islay's, like the Laphroaig. It seems its either love it or hate it, that medicinal peatiness.

simkin said:
Don't know Lagavulin. I have had, and enjoyed, the Jura. I like the really smokey Islay's, like the Laphroaig. It seems its either love it or hate it, that medicinal peatiness.

Lagavulin is an Islay, very peaty but not as much as Laphroaig. It is similar to Talisker, but all round a bit nicer, richer and smoother. Sounds like you'd enjoy it :thumb: .

The Juras are growing on me, I liked superstition and origin, Jura prophecy is good, very peaty but it costs a bomb and I'd rather have a Lagavulin or two bottles of something else.

I'm just finishing off a bottle of Laphroaig! it's nice, but I drink my whiskey with coke so it probably eases it off a bit :oops:

I hate for this to go completely off topic but can anybody recommend a nice entry level whiskey? I love gentleman jack more than JD. A friend recommends Monkey Shoulder, and I love the smell of Hibiki but couldn't warrant the price tag :lol:

RobWalker said:
I'm just finishing off a bottle of Laphroaig! it's nice, but I drink my whiskey with coke so it probably eases it off a bit :oops:

SACRILEGE! :eek:

Laphroaig isn't much of a "your first malt", it's ridiculously peaty and even among whisky drinkers it is an acquired taste.

I hate for this to go completely off topic but can anybody recommend a nice entry level whiskey? I love gentleman jack more than JD. A friend recommends Monkey Shoulder, and I love the smell of Hibiki but couldn't warrant the price tag :lol:

JD is a bourbon (JD will argue otherwise, but for all intents and purposes, it's bourbon). Bourbon is made using freshly charred oak barrels, which is why they tend to taste like charcoal. Scotch whisky makers buy these used barrels and old sherry barrels, wine barrels, port barrels etc to use for their whisky, which is why most have sherry/sweet tastes and little charcoal taste.

I've bought several virgin whisky drinkers who expressed an interest in whisky a bottle of Aberlour and had good feedback. Frequently on offer in Asda for £18-22 and worth every penny. Comes in a brown round tube. Quite light, good sherry taste, sweeter than some, a decent starter single malt imo.

If you want to start cheap, my favourite blend (i.e. not a single malt) whisky is Whyte and Mackay (has a black and red label). Currently on offer in Asda for £13. That is a very sherry tasting blend which you might also like. Not a bad intro to Scotch in general, work your way onto the more expensive stuff when you have a taste for it. Teachers is a more peaty and malty blend, which I also quite like.

TL;DR - Whyte and Mackay or Aberlour, depending on how rich you are feeling and what is on offer :thumb: .

DrD said:
Lagavulin is an Islay, very peaty but not as much as Laphroaig. It is similar to Talisker, but all round a bit nicer, richer and smoother. Sounds like you'd enjoy it :thumb: .

The Juras are growing on me, I liked superstition and origin, Jura prophecy is good, very peaty but it costs a bomb and I'd rather have a Lagavulin or two bottles of something else.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for Lagavulin :cheers:

I agree, Teachers is a good start tipple at the price. I used to drink Bells too . . . . and Grants . . . . and Chivas Regal is a really good blend but over-priced; got one as a gift.

great, i'll give the whyte and mackay a bash. slowly training myself to like whiskey more, because at the moment it's my "drank a lot of it from a beer can when i was 17 and threw up everywhere" drink.

Noticed the cheap aldi bottle tooked away too, always one in our trolley when shopping. Very nice bottle at a cheap price.

Walk the dog around a lake in the cold winter. Drop in to a local country pub. Hide in the corner with the dog on a lead under the table and order a large Talisker :thumb:

Just a shame you can't smoke a cigar in a pub these days ..... :nah:

danb said:
Noticed the cheap aldi bottle tooked away too, always one in our trolley when shopping. Very nice bottle at a cheap price.

When I fancy a bourbon, the Aldi cheapy is more than acceptable, quite underrated imo.

Wino - Glass of Talisker, log fire, dark room, no kids, you can't beat it.

Latest posts

Back