My second all gran BIAB SMASH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
10 liters
Pale Marris Otter EBC 5 1.84Kg
Black Malt 11 gm
Fuggles 11 gm at start of boil and another 11 gm 15 mins before end. Half tablet of Protafloc 15 mins before end of boil

Mash 90mins around 70 degrees
Boil 60 mins

Cooled in sink with ice blocks

Into clear FV and looked at 9 liters but lots of brown 'cotton wool' in lower 2 liters.
Racked back into boil vessel leaving 2+ liters behind

Kept 1 and half of the brown 'cotton wool' liquid in jugs to see if they clear. If so, I'll add back to FV so maybe make 10 liters

SG 1038
Pitched yeast at 21 degrees
SafAle S-04

Every much feeling my way around the kitchen with pots etc. All went to plan but any thoughts and comments much appreciated.

Matt

10 liters
Pale Marris Otter EBC 5 1.84Kg
Black Malt 11 gm
Fuggles 11 gm at start of boil and another 11 gm 15 mins before end. Half tablet of Protafloc 15 mins before end of boil

Mash 90mins around 70 degrees
Boil 60 mins

Cooled in sink with ice blocks

Into clear FV and looked at 9 liters but lots of brown 'cotton wool' in lower 2 liters.
Racked back into boil vessel leaving 2+ liters behind

Kept 1 and half of the brown 'cotton wool' liquid in jugs to see if they clear. If so, I'll add back to FV so maybe make 10 liters

SG 1038
Pitched yeast at 21 degrees
SafAle S-04

Every much feeling my way around the kitchen with pots etc. All went to plan but any thoughts and comments much appreciated.

Matt
Brew in a bag is suited for fine milling, is your homebrew shop accommodating this because they will mill coarse as standard. In which case you can mash for 60 minutes with fine milled grain.
Make sure you take the temperature of what settles in the jugs up to 80C and cooled before adding to the fermenter.

Brew in a bag is suited for fine milling, is your homebrew shop accommodating this because they will mill coarse as standard. In which case you can mash for 60 minutes with fine milled grain.
Make sure you take the temperature of what settles in the jugs up to 80C and cooled before adding to the fermenter.
Many thanks.
I have just checked the Pale malt bag and it does not indicate if fine milled. I'll watch out for that with my next purchase.

After 4 hours the jugs of excess trub do not appear to be clearing much. There is only about 2cm of clear liquid at the top. I'll leave them over night and perhaps get some usable liquid.

I wonder why there was so much?
I used half a tablet of Protafloc for the last 10-15 mins of the boil. This would have been in 10 liters of liquid.
Was that too much? Has this caused the large amount of trub?

Thanks again

Many thanks.
I have just checked the Pale malt bag and it does not indicate if fine milled. I'll watch out for that with my next purchase.

After 4 hours the jugs of excess trub do not appear to be clearing much. There is only about 2cm of clear liquid at the top. I'll leave them over night and perhaps get some usable liquid.

I wonder why there was so much?
I used half a tablet of Protafloc for the last 10-15 mins of the boil. This would have been in 10 liters of liquid.
Was that too much? Has this caused the large amount of trub?

Thanks again
You have to put the jugs in the fridge to make the break and hop material drop out, if you have already pitched your yeast be careful not to slosh the wort into the fermenter. Just ask the HBS if you could have your grain milled fine.
Your mash temperature may be a bit high, 67, 68C is the optimum for a SMASH.
Could be the Protofloc tablet causing more hot break, I don't know. Usually, it is the longer the boil the more hop break drops out.

You've actually done a DMASH ashock1 - Pale and Black so its a double malt.

Mind you, these days you can have a black IPA so a smash with two malts might well pass. Tell you what I haven't seen - a pale stout ;).

Latest posts

Back