8 gram co2 use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adri123

Reaction score
Hi

I'm about to keg a wherry brew. My kit came with one of those plastic bulb holders and a couple of 8 gram bulbs of co2.

Can anyone tell me how they are used please?

TIA

Adri

I haven't used them on a keg yet, but the CO2 carts are the same kind you can use to inflate bike tyres quickly. From what I gather, you put the cart in the holder and screw the whole assembly onto the pin valve on the lid of the keg. From what I've read on here, there seems to be some debate about whether or not it's even necessary upon initial kegging, as the minimal headroom and CO2 produced in the secondary fermentation is enough to stop the beer going 'off'. There also seems to be some people who incorrectly assume that they are in fact force-carbing the beer via this means.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the CO2 is only necessary (essential?) as the beer in the keg goes down (because your drinking it!), the amount of oxygen in the headspace of the barrel increases. The CO2 in the beer 'escapes' into that headspace, causing the beer to go flat. Same principle when opening say a bottle of Coke, drinking half and then leaving the other half for a week. By that point it'll be flat. Squirting CO2 into that headspace purges the oxygen and retains the CO2 in the beer, keeping it fresh. Top Tap Kegs also need that pressure to help dispense, but that's arguably another issue.

Bin the 8g canisters and buy an S30 for £20.
I don't bother with a secondary ferment any more. Just transfer and pressurise from the S30.

You don't need to change the valve. Just pick out the internal O ring and either remove the pin or refit it upside-down ;)

Bought an s30.

If I swap over the valve as suggested how will I know if I've given it enough co2?

No release valve on my keg.

Adri

A one second blast should be enough ,anymore and you risk the canister nozzle freezing and it's valve leaking , it's good practice to check anyway by holding it to your cheek to check for co2 escaping.

Back