A bit of a 'Tom Caxton' experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racehunter

Reaction score
Although I have recently been successfully doing some 'dark side' AG small batches, the downside is that my stocks of finished beer has reduced, so while in town, I popped into Wilko's to see what kits they had that I could use to build the bottle stock, back up with.

Although I would rather have got a Coopers kit, I came out with the one can Tom Caxton Real Ale and will get this on later. However, as I love adjusting, I will brew it with 2 jars of H&B malt extract and 300g of dextrose, instead of just brewing sugar, as well as the liquor from 200g of steeped crystal malt. It has a sachet of hop oil with it, which will go in and I might even add an EKG or Fuggles hop tea later on. As I am not sure what the kit yeast will be like, I am going to use a packet of CML 'Midland' as I like the way this pack down. Oh and it will be brewed short to 21L

Hopefully I will get a drinkable beer from this.🤞

Although I have recently been successfully doing some 'dark side' AG small batches, the downside is that my stocks of finished beer has reduced, so while in town, I popped into Wilko's to see what kits they had that I could use to build the bottle stock, back up with.

Although I would rather have got a Coopers kit, I came out with the one can Tom Caxton Real Ale and will get this on later. However, as I love adjusting, I will brew it with 2 jars of H&B malt extract and 300g of dextrose, instead of just brewing sugar, as well as the liquor from 200g of steeped crystal malt. It has a sachet of hop oil with it, which will go in and I might even add an EKG or Fuggles hop tea later on. As I am not sure what the kit yeast will be like, I am going to use a packet of CML 'Midland' as I like the way this pack down. Oh and it will be brewed short to 21L

Hopefully I will get a drinkable beer from this.🤞
I haven't brewed kits for yonks, but what you're suggesting sounds spot on.
BTW. I used to think kit yeasts were **** and maybe they were. I found a few silver sachets in my yeast box a year or so ago. Well out of date. nevertheless I tried one and it produced a cracking beer!
The trouble is that you don't know what yeast it is, but that doesn't mean it's a bad one.

Hi @An Ankoù I agree that the kit yeast may be OK but its the not knowing.........

I didn't expect to go back to kits but SWMBO has effectively banned me from the kitchen with regards to AG as she 'doesn't like the smell' asad.. I bought an induction hob to brew in the garage but my stockpot isn't magnetic enough and my new, larger induction friendly pot hasn't yet arrived. The trials and tribulations of HB aheadbutt

Latest posts

Back