A few more novice questions after bottling my 3rd batch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain why we shouldn't be using a multipurpose kitchen cleaner?
It's a plastic bucket. It's getting rinsed multiple times and then sterilised before the next use...

Because a swarm of Nazi beer gods are going to descend and suck up your krausen, steal your hops and render your beer an acrid sludge! Or not...:)

On the subject of cleaning taps, I use something like this.
upload_2018-4-6_10-49-4.png

I bought one off ebay for about £2, also use it for cleaning the overflow pipes on my Grainfather

I think the point is...why introduce something to your system that isn't commonly used or recognised as the type of product to use?Fair enough kitchen cleaner will clean stuff but to me it's something else I'd worry about imparting off flavours or leaving residues.

To be honest I DO have special dish washing liquid (odor free) for the pot and sieve, but I consider that cleaning, not sanitising.

Would you wash your plates, pans and cutlery with multipurpose kitchen cleaner? If so, then go ahead. Not for me.

In truth people have been saying 'don't clean with washing up liquid!' but we do for everything else. Anyway, for me, I'm a novice and I'm willing to listen to the more experienced brewers on this site before I start tampering.

I use Wizz Oxi to clean - I've got PBW but I keep it for the really cruddy stuff, like if I forget to clean the FV immediately and the crud has dried on.
If you clean the FV as soon as it's empty you will be able to clean off the krausen tide mark with gentle rubbing.
Do you mean Wizz Oxi fabric stain remover?

I think it's the added scent that brewers object to. If you can smell lemon or whatever then there's some chemical or other stuck to the surfaces emitting eau-de-unilever up into your nostrils.

Can someone explain why we shouldn't be using a multipurpose kitchen cleaner?
It's a plastic bucket. It's getting rinsed multiple times and then sterilised before the next use...
And would this be the same reason we don't use Dettol sanitising spray to sanitise the equipment?
332429-dettol-surface-cleaner-500ml.jpg

Has it got...”amongst other ingredients “,”ionic surfectants “,”perfume”....listed on the label? All of which may or may not rinse off...no rinse is just that..

1. PBW. Do I need to fill up the FV with PBW solution every time to clean? The FV is never that dirty - I was wondering if I could just use washing liquid as I imagine it can get a little expensive.

It's already been mentioned but basic Oxi-cleaners (sold as fabric stain removers) are a lot cheaper than proper PBW and my understanding is that they do almost the same job.

My local supermarket sells their own brand for £3 per kilo (make sure it's the free from perfumes etc.), can probably get even cheaper if you shop around.
I've been using for a few months now, works a treat for me :Cheers:

As for the priming sugar: When I have used it in the past - for priming Cider in the bottles - I used the narrow packets of white sugar "gathered" from coffee shops e.g. Starbucks or Costa's one per 500ml bottle. I retired from work - where we had an in-house Costas so I had regular access to the packets. It is a lot easier just to tear off the ends of the packets and tip the sugar straight into the bottle - does the same job as a small funnel but without the need to measure the sugar as you go. I'm lazy.

Do you mean Wizz Oxi fabric stain remover?
'Ow do!
Yes, I get it from B&M - theirs isn't perfumed, so it's safe for cleaning. It's tough on the hands - use gloves - and surfaces are slippy until rinsed.
You can get pure sodium percarbonate from Fleabay; Wizz Oxi includes other cleaning products apart from percarbonate.

Latest posts

Back