A tip for measuring S.G. for fellow Newbies.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny

Reaction score
Hi All

Just thought i'd post a simple tip for all us newbies.

When measuring the starting gravity of your concoction make sure you give it a good a shake before transferring a sample to the trial jar. I didnt do this and couldnt understand why my gravity was reading 1.080 when it should have been 1.090. A quick shake and a remeasure and I was bang on 1.090....but, prior to the brainwave I had boiled more sugar syrup....DOH!

:cheers:

I guess it depends on how well your ingredients are mixed. I think mine hadn't mixed particularly well resulting in an innacurate gravity reading. Perhaps it was a one off but worth thinking about as you may be getting an incorrect gravity reading at the start.

danny said:
Hi All

Just thought i'd post a simple tip for all us newbies.

When measuring the starting gravity of your concoction make sure you give it a good a shake before transferring a sample to the trial jar. I didnt do this and couldnt understand why my gravity was reading 1.080 when it should have been 1.090. A quick shake and a remeasure and I was bang on 1.090....but, prior to the brainwave I had boiled more sugar syrup....DOH!

:cheers:

I take it you are kit brewing?
As I dont think this applies to AG brewing.

UP

unclepumble said:
I take it you are kit brewing?
As I dont think this applies to AG brewing.
UP

It can matter with AG if you're doing a pre-boil reading. I've been caught out a few times.

Back