Aaargh my barrel is leaking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czechneck

Reaction score
My barrel has just developed a leak and annoyingly, it's full of my best brew yet (a porter). It's not much, maybe 50-100ml a day.

I know you can get spare taps, which I'll do once it's empty. But in the meantime, is there anything I can do other than just drink all the porter? :drink:

barrel.jpg

The leak will have come on when the pressure increased. Not much you can do now that't carbonated, but drink it. You could lower the pressure, although drinking it will do that. But lowering the pressure means lowering the carbonation which you may not want. Next time use vasaline on the threads.

Easy peasy
Loosen the cap to release the pressure and re-tighten it. Buy new tap turn barrel on its side tap upper most. Remove old tap and fit new one. Stand barrel upright loosen cap slightly give it a squirt of gas re-tighten cap give it another squirt of gas. Leave barrel for a couple of days so that the sediment settles. Carry on drinking.

Where is it leaking from, through the tap itself or from where it screws into the keg. The tap doesn't look turned off to me, it should be at exactly 90 degrees, not pushed back as far as it will go.

Runwell-Steve said:
The tap doesn't look turned off to me, it should be at exactly 90 degrees, not pushed back as far as it will go.

+1 .. with the tap pushed right back, it is every so slightly *on*.

Same happened to me last night, had a firework party and found mine had leaked due to someone putting the tap in the same position. It needs to be 90 deg as Steve says, or very slightly pulled forward, to make sure it's absolutely off.

These barrel are great and can withstand a lot of pressure, if it does start leaking due to pressure you've probably got too much in there so it's worth drawing off a pint. Generally, I prefer thsi time of barrel to the more expensive ones (King Keg etc) as they seem easier to manager once you get used to them.

As mentioned, try not pushing the lever all the way back.

What I did to one of mine, on the tap, get a good strong hold on the bit that threads into the barrel, then carefully turn the tap itself so that it points upwards, you just have to tutn it down to pour, and repeat.

If you want to release pressure a little, no need to undo the cap, guessing it's got the rubber seal on the lid, you can always give that a squeeze.

Did notice Wilko have changed their taps on the barrels, noticed a little cap on the end of them now to try and prevent such drips

The tap is turned off because you can clearly see the outlet hole in the photo and it is in the front and surrounded by plastic. Also I doubt there is not too much pressure because the barrel is half empty. My advice is change the tap.

Thanks all. I think the tap is off, but I'll try putting it at 90 and see if that makes a difference. I'll have to change the tap when I get an opportunity.

Failing that, I'll just have to invite you all round for a pint... :cheers:

Back