Accidental Banana

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well Sunday, saw a few big bags of Banana going for 40-60p in Tescos. Thought I'll have some of that. 7lb of Nanas for £1. Thought would do in the week. Got home had a little row with misses was left with just over 4lb of Bananas and a banana covered desk. As bananas were slightly mushed had to bottle a blackberry/cherry that had cleared.

Used skin on 3lb and chopped the rest, simmered for an hour while bottling the blackberry/cherry.

1kg (as all I had), might add 500g later to taste, 250g sultanas blended simmered and strained into dj onto sugar with a strong (2 bag) cup of tea. Strained bananas through cheese cloth into dj. When cooler added yeast, juice of lemon (didn't have an orange only satumas, so left out) and 1 heaped tsp of citric acid, nutrient and 1 tsp of Amalyse for starch haze.

Fermenting away fine.

S.G reading was off, was reading plus 1200.

Was a bit late posting as only just managed to get the rest of the banana off the monitor :lol:

Well Sunday, saw a few big bags of Banana going for 40-60p in Tescos. Thought I'll have some of that. 7lb of Nanas for �£1. Thought would do in the week. Got home had a little row with misses was left with just over 4lb of Bananas and a banana covered desk. As bananas were slightly mushed had to bottle a blackberry/cherry that had cleared.

Used skin on 3lb and chopped the rest, simmered for an hour while bottling the blackberry/cherry.

1kg (as all I had), might add 500g later to taste, 250g sultanas blended simmered and strained into dj onto sugar with a strong (2 bag) cup of tea. Strained bananas through cheese cloth into dj. When cooler added yeast, juice of lemon (didn't have an orange only satumas, so left out) and 1 heaped tsp of citric acid, nutrient and 1 tsp of Amalyse for starch haze.

Fermenting away fine.

S.G reading was off, was reading plus 1200.

Was a bit late posting as only just managed to get the rest of the banana off the monitor :lol:

Guessing it was a bit of a kinky brew day :-?

Better invite the minions to try it
Minion-Banana.jpg

One of ex wives threw a full (but not hot) deep fat fryer at me once, that took some cleaning up 🙁

Nice work on the nana wine, it's still on my list !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well just racked, had to removed some of the banana that was never going to settle. I had added 500g of sugar previously bringing it upto 1.5kg of sugar. Took reading at s.g 1030, a little way to go, getting clearer.

How sweet do people have their banana wine?

One of ex wives threw a full (but not hot) deep fat fryer at me once, that took some cleaning up 🙁

Nice work on the nana wine, it's still on my list !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
What do you mean..'one of my.."
How many have you had???

Just took another sample s.g still at 1030, co2 still being release every 2 min's through air lock. It did stop and added a gv4 yeast starter I made from some of the contents. The taste has changed seems drier. Wondering if sugar in starter or starch breakdown is adding sugar to the fermentation. Have same problem with my broadbean wines, fermenting is taking place, but sg not dropping.

Just took a reading of 1018 and tastes ok, will leaves for another month as still bubbling every 37.2 seconds.

Just took another sample s.g still at 1030, co2 still being release every 2 min's through air lock. It did stop and added a gv4 yeast starter I made from some of the contents. The taste has changed seems drier. Wondering if sugar in starter or starch breakdown is adding sugar to the fermentation. Have same problem with my broadbean wines, fermenting is taking place, but sg not dropping.

wouldnt pectolase be helping with this and later on the clearing ?

Amylase might be some adding sugars in banana wine, but can't be much starch left in broadbean wines, one dj dropped 2 in 2 months, the other not moved. The ABV in the banana probably quite high, couldn't tell how much sugar and starch was in the bananas even at 1.018 could be 17-18%. Pectolase may have destroyed some of the starch, clearing not a problem with the banana, peel went in as well.

Just tested after 60 days since last test and at 1.008/9 not too sweet and its drying to taste which is good, good alcohol content which is not overpowering. So decided to stop it, racked onto camden and k.sorbate, added finnings and will bottle when I get some time. Lets see how it will taste at bottling.

Bottled today, misses thinks it tastes like vemouth. I can see were she comming from lets see in a couple of months.

Latest posts

Back