Acurate measurement?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

degsie73

Reaction score
Decided to check my if any of my FV's are marked up accurately with the measurements printed
on the sides from the various manufacturers! Noticed whilst bottling a brew that often needed
more or less 500ml bottles than I thought. Not surprisingly discovered that between the three
FV's I own that, there was a four litre difference between them.
Now I may be new to this game but surely that would make a difference to the strength/body
of me beer? Have had to resort to measuring out the water with a 2 litre measuring jug in future
and re- marking the outside of my FV's - quite dissapointed that the manufacturers have been
so shoddy with there products!!

Yeah mine are all over the place too, the Young's buckets seem better than the screw top fermenters, I go by my permanent marker guide

Thats the way it is degsi, ;) but...............can you trace the calibration of your jug back to a Standard. :lol:
No seriously, I marked up a demijohn and then used that to "calibrate" my buckets :D

Stick it on a scale, zero it then fill with water and mark it every 5KG to get a fairly good scale.

I marked a 5l bucket then used that to Mark bigger vessels.

Every plastic bucket/fermenter I have ever bought prints a disclaimer on the side, something like "for guidance only".
I have adopted the practice of calibrating with a 1 litre measure.
Some are actually spot on. :eek:

Back