Addictive Hobby - WoW first Attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clockhammer

Reaction score
I only started brewing last week but am already addicted, strange in that I haven't tasted any of it yet.

Started a wine kit last week, a Fiery Ginger Beer (from the recipe by rickthebrew) on Thursday and finally today I've put on a WoW from the excellent guide done by Moley on this forum.

I only have 3 FV's, so planning on doing the secondary ferments in 5ltr water bottles, just so I can start using the FV's again straight away. Reckon if I keep this up I should build up a nice stock pretty quickly, hard thing will be leaving it alone long enough.

Have learned so much in a couple of weeks just reading this forum so cheers everyone :cheers:

Hi

Sounds like you have got the bug lol you will be looking in all the hedgerows now trying to find things you can forage lol.

Good luck

Dave

I only have 3 FV's, so planning on doing the secondary ferments in 5ltr water bottles, just so I can start using the FV's again straight away. Reckon if I keep this up I should build up a nice stock pretty quickly, hard thing will be leaving it alone long enough.

Kits don't normally ask you to rack to a second DJ and WOW is only moved to a second DJ for degassing, stabilising and clearing.

Now you have the bug have a look at the link below for lots of supermarket juice wine recipes. :thumb:

Chippy_Tea said:

Kits don't normally ask you to rack to a second DJ and WOW is only moved to a second DJ for degassing, stabilising and clearing.

Now you have the bug have a look at the link below for lots of supermarket juice wine recipes. :thumb:

Is it not better to age them in a second DJ?

cheers for the link, will try a few when I have room

thanks

I age mine in bottles.

With kits it usually says to finish the wine in the first FV then bottle when clear, you could rack into another DJ for ageing but if lack of DJ's and space is a problem bottling solves it and that is what i do.

Supermarket juice wines need to be racked onto a crushed campden tablet, degassed, and cleared (if you don't want to do it naturally) so moving from the first to a second DJ is the way to do it, you can then either age it in the DJ or bottle it when it is clear.

Chippy_Tea said:

I age mine in bottles.

With kits it usually says to finish the wine in the first FV then bottle when clear, you could rack into another DJ for ageing but if lack of DJ's and space is a problem bottling solves it and that is what i do.

Supermarket juice wines need to be racked onto a crushed campden tablet, degassed, and cleared (if you don't want to do it naturally) so moving from the first to a second DJ is the way to do it, you can then either age it in the DJ or bottle it when it is clear.

I have Campden tablets and Potassium Sorbate ready for the WoW.

How is Wow, does it taste just like a cheap wine?

I have a feeling that may not turn out too good, i hope you like it.

My first wow was the orange and WGJ i didn't really like it but was pleased it worked and i enjoyed the lava lamp effect.

If you read the first post in the juice wine and wow thread in my signature you will see i moved on to Pomegranate and WGJ, this is still one of my favourites, Cranberry was also one of my early favourites and i still make both when i can get hold of the juice, i now just buy what is cheap, at the moment Tesco are doing 100% apple and Mango and this makes a really nice wine i always use WGJ in all my WOW variants but its just a personal thing.

I don't know if you have had time to read it but can i bring your attention to this part early in the thread -

The WOW guide suggests using 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre white grape juice, i found the end result to be a bit watery so now make all my WOW variants using 2 litres of the main juice (if it is less than 50% juice) and 1 litre of either red grape juice (RGJ) or white grape juice (WGJ) if i find 100% juice i only use one litre as the original WOW guide suggests.
I would advise all new members to follow the WOW guide to the letter using one litre of the main juice and either one litre of white grape juice or one litre of red grape juice then alter the recipes if the finished wine is not to your taste.

Chippy_Tea said:
I have a feeling that may not turn out too good, i hope you like it.

My first wow was the orange and WGJ i didn't really like it but was pleased it worked and i enjoyed the lava lamp effect.

If you read the first post in the juice wine and wow thread in my signature you will see i moved on to Pomegranate and WGJ, this is still one of my favourites, Cranberry was also one of my early favourites and i still make both when i can get hold of the juice, i now just buy what is cheap, at the moment Tesco are doing 100% apple and Mango and this makes a really nice wine i always use WGJ in all my WOW variants but its just a personal thing.

I don't know if you have had time to read it but can i bring your attention to this part early in the thread -

The WOW guide suggests using 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre white grape juice, i found the end result to be a bit watery so now make all my WOW variants using 2 litres of the main juice (if it is less than 50% juice) and 1 litre of either red grape juice (RGJ) or white grape juice (WGJ) if i find 100% juice i only use one litre as the original WOW guide suggests.
I would advise all new members to follow the WOW guide to the letter using one litre of the main juice and either one litre of white grape juice or one litre of red grape juice then alter the recipes if the finished wine is not to your taste.

Cheers for the info, it was 100% juice so should be okay

will be trying the cranberry next time I think. The shop didn't have any WGJ, that's why I went for Red.

I think the rule of thumb is if the supermarket juice is red use RGJ, i just use WGJ because i always have and like the taste of the stuff i make with it, there is no right or wrong that is the beauty of making WOW variants.

Let us know how you get on and feel free to add your recipe and thoughts on the outcome to the juice drink & WOW variant thread. :thumb:

Chippy_Tea said:
I think the rule of thumb is if the supermarket juice is red use RGJ, i just use WGJ because i always have and like the taste of the stuff i make with it, there is no right or wrong that is the beauty of making WOW variants.

Let us know how you get on and feel free to add your recipe and thoughts on the outcome to the juice drink & WOW variant thread. :thumb:

Cheers, will do

dennisking said:
Warning, this will get MORE addictive. There is no way back now.

When you move on to doing 23 litre batches as well as the gallon ones you know you have got it bad.

Just about to bottle 23 litres of apple/Raspberry and WGJ. :lol:

Chippy_Tea said:
dennisking said:

When you move on to doing 23 litre batches as well as the gallon ones you know you have got it bad.

hmmm, been trying not to buy the big FV's, I know it'll be more economical in terms of wine kits but it'll take up a bit more space in the kitchen.

I'll resist as long as I can :hmm:

clockhammer said:
Chippy_Tea said:
dennisking said:

hmmm, been trying not to buy the big FV's, I know it'll be more economical in terms of wine kits but it'll take up a bit more space in the kitchen.

I'll resist as long as I can :hmm:

To be honest i bought the big FV to make kits so i always have wine in store, i prefer to make my WOW variants in DJ's so if i make something i don't like (and i have) i don't have 30 bottles of the stuff to drink.
I regularly make a cheap The Range kit (see link below) but unfortunately they had ran out the last time i visited so i made a WOW in the FV, i have now got a couple of the kits again so will go back to making WOW in the DJ's.

Range kit review - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=39942

True, making 30 bottles at once does would give a good stock, don't want to get into a situation where the demand is higher than supply ;)

Back