Adding geletine after fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Hi,

I forgot to add finings to my boil, and now the wheat beer is in the fermentor with yeast added (but not doing anything yet). My book says I can add geletine once fermentation is finished then leave it for a couple of days to clear, but I've never heard anyone here talk about that. Any advice?

Thanks

Hi,

I forgot to add finings to my boil, and now the wheat beer is in the fermentor with yeast added (but not doing anything yet). My book says I can add geletine once fermentation is finished then leave it for a couple of days to clear, but I've never heard anyone here talk about that. Any advice?

Thanks

I would not bother with it, mate.

Beer clears with time and the gelatin finings are added to clear the beer early, in a commercial situation, before a HB beer will be at its best.

A wheat beer is going to be cloudy due to the proteins in wheat anyway.

There are definitely people on here who use gelentin to clear and apparently it works quite well. I'm with slid tho, I wouldn't bother especially if you'll be mostly drinking the beer yourself.

I use protofloc in the boil and gelatin for everything but wheat beers. I intend to try it in a weihenstephaner clone to see what difference it will make but have never been in a position to do a side by side comparison as I drink it too quickly!

I cold crash at -1c for 2-3 days then add gelatin (diluted in 150ml of water and heated to 65c) for 1-2 days at -1c. It does a great job, especially when used in conjunction with bottling. If you are kegging and can cold crash it for a longer period you can probably get away without it.

It costs me a few minutes and about 10p a batch so i figure why not do it.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

I gelatin my beers. Except the dark ones. With gelatine I can get grain to glass in 2 weeks and have super clear beer. Using a corny keg mind, not natural carbonation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
94f26912bb7e387fae64f2b190cf6777.jpg

Looks good :thumb: Has that beer been dry hopped at all?
Not that one. It is a pils. Fermented with w34/70 following the brulosophy.com quick lager method. So not traditionally lagered.

I have had some success at dry hopping and fining with gelatine. But it was a bit haphazard and so not sure how to repeat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks

Why do you want a clear Wheatbeer (unless its a Krystal) ?
The best thing about wheats is, you can get away with murder and still have a good tasting beer. Most of the flavour is in the suspended yeast.
Once its brewed, fermented and carbed up, its drinkable
Wheats are a excellent style of beer for a quick turnover or if you want to travel/transport a beer somewhere

I use protofloc in the boil and gelatin for everything but wheat beers. I intend to try it in a weihenstephaner clone to see what difference it will make but have never been in a position to do a side by side comparison as I drink it too quickly!

I cold crash at -1c for 2-3 days then add gelatin (diluted in 150ml of water and heated to 65c) for 1-2 days at -1c. It does a great job, especially when used in conjunction with bottling. If you are kegging and can cold crash it for a longer period you can probably get away without it.

It costs me a few minutes and about 10p a batch so i figure why not do it.
I do pretty much this and it's much much clearer than when I did without. I ferment for a couple of weeks at whatever temp is needed, then I knock the fridge down to 1c add 2 tsp of 240 bloom gelatin dissolved in water and allowed to bloom, give it a gentle stir and leave it for a week for the beer to cool and the gelatin to do it's work. Don't forget to sterilise all the bits!

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

Rooting around in my box of sundries recently, I happened across an unopened sachet of Dr Oetker gelatine that I must have bought years ago but never used. So out of curiosity I used it on a beer which I gave two weeks at 19C, adding the gelatine for following 4 days at 2C. It did absolutely nothing. What gives?

Rooting around in my box of sundries recently, I happened across an unopened sachet of Dr Oetker gelatine that I must have bought years ago but never used. So out of curiosity I used it on a beer which I gave two weeks at 19C, adding the gelatine for following 4 days at 2C. It did absolutely nothing. What gives?
Gelatin goes off pretty quick. If it's years old, it probably went off ages ago. Also it may have been a low bloom gelatin. I use 2 tsp of 200+ bloom with excellent results.

I 've just done a little research and it seems that the Dr Oetker stuff I used is only around 120 bloom, but the 240 ( and 300, the 'best') is readily available on the 'net. I'll try me some of that!

I 've just done a little research and it seems that the Dr Oetker stuff I used is only around 120 bloom, but the 240 ( and 300, the 'best') is readily available on the 'net. I'll try me some of that!
Yeah it's dirt cheap. I've gone through several bags of the 100g classikool 240 bloom.

Back