Adding oak cubes to a sour fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyg55

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm currently attempting my first sour and decided to go for Michael Tonsmeire's advice of just picking a beer and pitching a sour microbe blend. I made a Hefeweizen from "Brewing Classic Styles" and pitched WLP655 with the Hef yeast.

The next step is to leave for 2-3 weeks and transfer it to a secondary fermenter with 1 oz oak cubes. Finally, leave for 6-12 months until the SG is stable.

I made the Hef yesterday so I'm currently in my 2-3 week wait. My question is - do I really have to transfer everything to a secondary fermenter? Can't I just add the oak cubes directly into the primary fermentation bucket?

I'd rather not transfer if I don't have to, as I don't want to contaminate even more equipment with souring microbes.

Cheers,
Andy

Nope, you don't need to transfer. If you were ageing a standard (ie. not a mixed fermentation) beer then it might be recommended to transfer to secondary but in this case I would say no, just check the oak cubes in. How are you sanitising them first?

Depends on the material of the two vessels. Stainless or glass are better for long term storage. If you can get it out of plastic, then transfer, if you can't, keep it where it is.
When it's done, don't throw the oak away, give them a rinse a dry and store them for next time you want to add some brettanomyces to a beer.

Last edited:
Back