Adding wood chips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some barrels from the Penderyn distillery.

Penderyn use bourbon and Madeira barrels to age their whiskey so the flavours it will add to my beers will be amazing.

Before I start putting some recipes together does anyone have advice - when to use, amounts etc.

Any material for me to read?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never used them myself but keen to give them a try so watching with interest...

I would be interested in this. I’ve thought maybe. BIPA or a dark lager or a dark Saison would benefit from some kind of oak ageing.

Interested to see what other ideas people may have.

Love the idea of using wood in a BIPA - I noticed in Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew he recommends;
'to add the wood chunks or cubes as early in the fermentation process as possible, as yeast activity seems to speed up the lignin-to-vanillin transformation and soften the harsh oaky flavours'
He doesn't give any info on how much to use other than suggesting they should be used with a 'light touch'.

I only brew kits but by far the best one I’ve done to date is the Mangrove Jacks Bourbon Barrel Strong Ale. The kit came with a small pouch of Bourbon Barrel wood chips that went in the primary just before the yeast. I’ll definately be doing that again before the last bottle goes.

So planning brewing with these next week. Any ideal on sanitising them?

I usually soak them in the liquid same as the barrel to sanitise them and launch the whisky in the keg too.
Penderyn is a bloody expensive whisky though.
Im going to soak mine for a week in Aldi Speyside whisky, £18 a bottle and its stunning.
Probably go with about 60-100g depening on how you've cut them.
Then taste weekly till I'm happy.

I usually soak them in the liquid same as the barrel to sanitise them and launch the whisky in the keg too.
Penderyn is a bloody expensive whisky though.
Im going to soak mine for a week in Aldi Speyside whisky, £18 a bottle and its stunning.
Probably go with about 60-100g depening on how you've cut them.
Then taste weekly till I'm happy.

Not a whiskey drinker so have none at home. Saying that, apart from the wife's gin, I have no spirits at home.

How much whiskey would I need?

I can get oak shavings from a joinery workshop.
Would they do the same job?
How much grams would I need to give me the oak flavour in my brew?.
I also like the idea of steeping in whisky

I'm currently aging some white whisky i bought on heavy toasted white oak and when there done il be putting it straight into a imperial stout. Id sanitize in some sort of spirit just note vodka will extract flavour from the oak but a whisky or rum might introduce more flavour.

I think you could sanitise by heating the wood in the oven. I don’t know what advantages and disadvantages this may have over boiling or alcohol soaking but worth considering. BIPA is a really interesting style to use the wood for, good luck with it.

I'm currently aging some white whisky i bought on heavy toasted white oak and when there done il be putting it straight into a imperial stout. Id sanitize in some sort of spirit just note vodka will extract flavour from the oak but a whisky or rum might introduce more flavour.
Keep me updated how your imperial stout tastes.

I think you could sanitise by heating the wood in the oven. I don’t know what advantages and disadvantages this may have over boiling or alcohol soaking but worth considering. BIPA is a really interesting style to use the wood for, good luck with it.

Yeah thought I would go bold. I am thinking of just steaming them

Back