Adjusting Recipe for High AA's - Greg Hughes Amarillo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickeywheelspin

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to have a go at the Greg Hughes Amarillo single hop recipe tomorrow for my next BIAB. I'm not sure if its because I could only get pellets rather than leaf hops, but the pack says an AA of 9.6% whereas the recipe says 5%. That's nearly twice as much!

I'm inclined to scale back the 60 minute bittering addition and may add them to the flameout or dry hop addition but was wondering what others do?

The recipe calls for;

4.7kg pale malt
235g carapils

54g for 60
27g for 15
27g for 5
83g at flameout (which i'll probably add for 15 minutes once I've cooled to 65-70 degrees)

That's just shy of 200g so I'll use the last 9g to dry hop for the last four days in the FV.

I'm tempted to drop the 60 minute addition to 26g and add the odd 28g to the dry hop... :hmm:

If you don't scale back the bittering then the IBUs will be much higher than the recipe .. Not sure I would bother with a 9g dry hop though.. I would either split it into flameout and dry hop or just bung that 9 in the flame out 80ºc steep.

As Covrich says, I don't think 9g will give much extra. With your grain bill I'm assuming you're aiming for around the 20 litre mark? That's less than 1/2 a gramme per litre (it's down to personal taste obviously but the last dry hop I did was 2g per litre). I would add it to your flameout, or, as you say, drop the 60 minute addition and increase your dry hopping.

Admittedly 9g seems a bit pointless in a 20l batch, but I've got no other use for them so thought I may as well.

It's targeting 40ibu so don't want to crazy with the early additions so I'll probably scale back and add the spare to the dry hop. Seemed like the sensible thing to do, thanks for confirming.

Latest posts

Back