Advice please...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My current brew;a user up porter type ,sits in the fv. It's slowed down after five days but still has a few bubbles breaking the surface amongst the remains of the krausen and bits of yeast. In all respects it looks normal...but on cracking the fv there is a feint sharp aroma that quickly goes. I wouldn't describe it as vinegary just sharp or very alcoholic then the chocolate comes through from the choc malt. But it's something different and has got me worried.....
Recipe...
2.1 kg m/of
350g crystal
200g caramel 60
140g chocolate
1.5 coopers dark ....

Cheers

Clint

Do you use the bucket type fermenters or the wine type with a smaller screw on top? I found that I could smell the CO2 much more with the latter as the opening is smaller so it concentrated the effect. If you get a good whiff of CO2, it gives you a sharp, burning sensation.

Bucket type with a blow off tube. All bubbling through the tube has stopped but like I said there are still bubbles breaking the surface and there is lid pressure. Perhaps it's the tinned malt...

Latest posts

Back