Advise on keg size, please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega

Reaction score
I currently make only kit ales and lagers, and they are 20-23 litre size. Also, I have fridges that are limited to 50 and 55 cm height. My nearest supplier is The Malt Miller and I wonder what keg size I should choose - 9, 12 or 19 litres?
It seems to me 19 litres won't be enough for a single batch and won't fit my fridges, and 9 litres be just too many kegs and 12 litres means 2 kegs per batch with smaller extra capacity. Plus 12 litres fits my fridge, so I won't need to try finding a taller fridge
Do you think my logic is correct, i.e. going for 12 litre kegs? Would like to get opinion from experienced brewers as I might be missing something. As I understand, I should try getting used/refurbished unwelded
P.S.: I plan moving to all grain (probably will buy Grandfather G30 unless there is a better kit that is easier to clean and easier to control, almost a "coffee maker" that gives me good malt at the end with little involvement as I currently find making malt is not that much fun) in the next 6-12 months, and probably will be brewing 18-30 litre batches, most likely around 20-23 litres, would like having kegs that I might continue using
Thank you

I have 4 19L kegs , two converted pin lock ( which are shorter and wider) and two ball lock. I used kegs without any fridge for several years , not ideal but works. I would say work out what works for you ( which you have ) and go with it ,,BuT if it was me I would buy 19 L , so your batches will fill a keg and leave a bit for bottles and look at getting a suitable fridge/freezer to use for temp control.

And I currently keg about every fourth brew and bottle the others.

I’d recommend 19l kegs as they are more cost effective (although I have 19l, 9 and 5’s collected over the years). Then get a 3l pop bottle or 2 (Iceland do them for Pepsi max and others) and use one of these guys:

Carbonation Cap Tee Piece Kit

I’ve got a few sets of them and use for line cleaning, taking to friends as well as storage when you need an empty keg but have a few pints left!

I’d recommend 19l kegs as they are more cost effective (although I have 19l, 9 and 5’s collected over the years). Then get a 3l pop bottle or 2 (Iceland do them for Pepsi max and others) and use one of these guys:

Carbonation Cap Tee Piece Kit

I’ve got a few sets of them and use for line cleaning, taking to friends as well as storage when you need an empty keg but have a few pints left!
Thanks, I thought what I could use for Carb bottles, Carb cap Tee Piece Kit should work well for me. I got couple of 19 Litre kegs now, and planning to pick up another taller fridge today to fit them there wink...

When I keg 19 litres I usually drop any extra into bottles with carb drops, simple and means I can gift samples...

Latest posts

Back