Too small fridges for kegs and Apollo Unitank 30?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega

Reaction score
I recently picked up couple of fridges to help me maintain the temperature of fermentation:
1. Bush model BSFF55136W, fridge 40cm depth, 45cm width and 55cm height, it has freezer too, but the layout of freezing elements is horizontal below each drawer, so I cannot simply remove the drawers to increase the volume
2. John Lewis model JLUCFRS6009, type TT150 - 4SMX: 33-48cm depth x 40cm width and 50-75cm height (first if I do not remove the freezing area, the second if I remove it, but I do not know if the fridge will work after). It also have small bottom drawer, which is about 25 cm deep
I still currently brew in buckets, but want to upgrade to Apollo Unitank 30 litres and kegs. Here are Dimensions for Apollo:
- 690mm to lid + 30mm to top of posts.
- 405mm wide
Kegs (on The Malt Miller, they do not have 9 litres currently though):
- 19 litres is Height – 56cm Width – 23cm
- 9 litres is Height – 34cm Width – 23cm
It looks like the 19 litre kegs and Apollo won't fit. What can I do?
My current thinking is the following:
1. Do I need to ferment under a permanent temperature below 20 Celsius? My room is usually 22-23 degrees, so perhaps I could do the primary fermentation in Apollo in my room at that temperature, then transfer into the kegs and place into the fridges. However, I will need two kegs instead of one and do the transfer instead of serving directly from the Apollo
2. I also have quite large AEG fridge that can take Apollo, but I cannot use it for temperature control because I store venison in the freezer. However, I can ferment in my room first and then move Apollo there so that I could serve from fermenter. And buy two more kegs 9 litres so that I could place them into fridges
3. I speak to Malt Miller, pick up Apollo and 19 litres keg, bring home to check if I can fit them into the fridge
4. Buy something smaller? Ideally something from The Malt Miller as they are here in Swindon
What do you think? Is it notably better to ferment in pressure fermenter under much better temperature control?
I like IPA, my friends prefer lagers, therefore I want pressure fermentation
Thanks for advice

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back