AG#1 Bateman's XXXB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morepunk

Reaction score
This weekend, after several years of LME brewing, we had our first bash at all-grain.

I have to thank the following people for their how-to guides when I had to modify or make pieces of equipment, as my DIY leaves a lot to be desired without proper and thorough instruction:

rpt for his guide on fitting a ball valve and hop stopper to a Buffalo boiler
BigYin for his describing how to make a twin-coil immersion chiller
of course guyb for his instructions on how to make a 99p sparging thingy
and BrewStew whose guided tour to AG brewing helped me stick to best practice as much as possible

The equipment I used was:
  • A 40 litre Buffalo boiler, modified to fit a ball valve and a hop stopper. I had also replaced the thermal cut-out with one of a higher temperature rating. The boiler is used as a HLT and a boiler in my setup. The boiler was excellent all-round, and gave an excellent rolling boil.[/*:m:1awoiaa8]
  • A 50 litre converted keg, insulated at the top and bottom with loft insulation board and bubble foil. Then insulated on the sides with bubble foil, camping roll mat, and another layer of bubble foil. We did lose quite a few degrees between the HLT and mash tun, so we'll be looking at how we can improve this next time around.[/*:m:1awoiaa8]
  • A washing up bowl, containing 28 small holes as a fly-sparger. We found that a few more holes may be required for next time, as it was a little too slow.[/*:m:1awoiaa8]
  • A twin-coil copper immersion chiller for cooling down the wort after the boil. This worked perfectly, and cooled our wort to pitching temperature in around 15 minutes.[/*:m:1awoiaa8]
  • All the other generic bits and pieces that are integral to brewing![/*:m:1awoiaa8]

DSC_0127.JPG

We are brewing Bateman's XXXB from Wheeler's Brew Your Own British Real Ale. Due to copyright, I can't post the recipe we used.

Bringing the liquor to strike temperature.
DSC_0125.JPG

Weighing the grain. Really need to get some bigger scales and/or bowls!
DSC_0128.JPG

We're a team of 3. This is Alex, our newest member. He's very happy with how things are going so far.
DSC_0130.JPG

John doesn't like to have his picture taken, but I'm sure he's just as happy...
DSC_0131.JPG

See? John is really enjoying the dough-in.
DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0134.JPG

Sparging.
DSC_0137.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG

Boiling.
DSC_0145.JPG

I didn't get a picture of us chilling the wort. Here's one of us aerating the wort.
DSC_0147.JPG

Yeast pitched (Danstar Nottingham) and lid on. I've got some cheap brandy in the airlock!
DSC_0150.JPG

Result - approx. 25 litres at our target OG of 1.049. Thoroughly enjoyed our day using our shiny new equipment!
DSC_0153.JPG

well done :thumb: however I'd suggest you get another brew on, that's not going to last long between 3 of you

Good Ed said:
well done :thumb: however I'd suggest you get another brew on, that's not going to last long between 3 of you
Yeah that's the only problem with having 3 of us involved! If we had the room I think we'd invest in a bigger setup, but for now we'll have to deal with brewing small amounts more often.

dennisking said:
:thumb: three cherry's popped in one go that may be a record.
I'll write to Guinness and demand a certificate :lol:

Back